The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   pony tail b/c violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/25091-pony-tail-b-c-violation.html)

chas Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:51am

Yesterday I had a situation where A1 who had front court status lost control of the ball very close to the mid court line, regained possesion while on her back and then when her head went backwards her pony tail touched the back court.I called a b/c violation. Agree?

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15am

There's a play almost the same posted on the NFHS web site. The only difference is that the one on the web site refers to an OOB call vs. a backcourt violation iirc. The hair is part of the player- ergo it's a backcourt violation.

SamIAm Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:37pm

I presume this wasn't Donkey Basketball? I don't think Donkey Basketball uses NFHS. Anybody know what rule set Donkey Basketball uses?

SmokeEater Mon Feb 20, 2006 01:59pm

You gotta be kidding, Right? Get any Flack over that call?

ChuckElias Mon Feb 20, 2006 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
You gotta be kidding, Right?
No kidding. Here's the interp, which was posted in October, directly from the FED website:

Quote:

SITUATION 9: A1 recovers a loose ball on the playing court near the sideline, with his/her body entirely in bounds. However, A1’s head is hovering out of bounds and his/her hair (which is in a long ponytail) is touching the floor, out of bounds. RULING: A1 is called for the out-of-bounds violation. (7-1-1; 7-1-2; 9-3-1)

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 20, 2006 02:34pm

Wow!! I NEVER would have called this before today. But now I'll go looking for it. :D

WooPigSooie Mon Feb 20, 2006 03:18pm

Congratulations on making the correct call. I know I sure would not have had the *alls to make this call. I guess it makes sense though. Football has a rule along the same line. Using hair to tackle is legal, which is why I am counting the days until Troy Poloamalu gets dragged to the ground with the mop coming out of the back of his helmet.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 20, 2006 03:31pm

When I was a kid, I was called for 3 seconds because my shoelace was in the key.

Looking back, I should have been called for a Gross Foul for having mucous hanging from my nose.

A ponytail in the backcourt. :rolleyes: If I was a coach, that call would make my hair stand up.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 20, 2006 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
A ponytail in the backcourt. :rolleyes: If I was a coach, that call would make my hair stand up.
That's why I wanna make it. :D Are you bald?

Corndog89 Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WooPigSooie
Congratulations on making the correct call. I know I sure would not have had the *alls to make this call. I guess it makes sense though. Football has a rule along the same line. Using hair to tackle is legal, which is why I am counting the days until Troy Poloamalu gets dragged to the ground with the mop coming out of the back of his helmet.
WooPig

What's the deal with TP's "mop"? Sounds like long hair may be an issue with you. Its very common for Polynesians to have long hair and wear it while playing ball. I don't see a problem as long as safety isn't compromised.

WooPigSooie Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27pm

No problem with hair. No problem with Polamalu. Phenomenal athlete. If he wants to wear his hair a certain way because of a particular ethnic background or belief, more power to him. We live in America. I despise the Steelers. Thats all. No disrespect toward his ethnic background.

He'll think its a safety issue the first time he gets dragged down by his hair while returning a pick.

Corndog89 Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:40pm

Quote:

No problem with hair. No problem with Polamalu. Phenomenal athlete. If he wants to wear his hair a certain way because of a particular ethnic background or belief, more power to him. We live in America. I despise the Steelers. Thats all. No disrespect toward his ethnic background.

He'll think its a safety issue the first time he gets dragged down by his hair while returning a pick.

Copy all. If he signed with your favorite team would you change your mind about his hair? Just curious.

Dribble Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:53pm

By definition I completely agree that this is a violation whether OOB or in the BC, but I agree with JugglingRef...I'd probably pass on this play. If a kid is playing so hard that he/she is on the ground fighting for possession, then I might reward that player for the hussle. I understand that terrific D may have made it necessary to lead to the scramble, but we're picking hairs here! :D

WooPigSooie Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:07am

No. AS I SAID IN THE PREVIOUS POST, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE HAVING LONG HAIR. Would I like to see him be forced to confine the hair to the helmet? Yes, regardless of whether or not he played for my team or those blasted Steelers. I do think that it could not only become a safety issue, but it gives an opposing team's players more options in tackling him, etc. Thats my opinion on the situation. I apologize if you dont like my opinion. Enough said. Back to basketball talk.

Corndog89 Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:34am

Quote:

No. AS I SAID IN THE PREVIOUS POST, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE HAVING LONG HAIR. Would I like to see him be forced to confine the hair to the helmet? Yes, regardless of whether or not he played for my team or those blasted Steelers. I do think that it could not only become a safety issue, but it gives an opposing team's players more options in tackling him, etc. Thats my opinion on the situation. I apologize if you dont like my opinion. Enough said. Back to basketball talk.
WooPig

Calm down. I'm not judging you or your opinions, I was just curious if hair, the Steelers, or safety was the issues. If I offended you I apologize...I certainly didn't mean to. I was only trying to understand...not a big deal.