The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2001, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Would it be illegal for a kid to play with his jersey pulled up and held in his teeth? I saw a kid play this way today and I wasn't shre whether to call it or not. Would it fall under the "ref decides about whatever isn't in the book" clause, or what?
Old Sun Jun 17, 2001, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Do you mean he was biting the collar of his jersey? While it maybe an unusual habit, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any type of violation. This is the type of thing that's just better left alone.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jun 17, 2001, 01:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

I agree that you would be hard pressed to find anything in the rulebook about this. Besides, what's the harm? He certainly isn't gaining any advantage. The only thing I could think of would be if it distorted his number so it would interfere with you reporting a foul.

Hey - maybe he was just trying to cover up a tongue stud.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The hem of the top layer of mesh was held between the teeth. I couldn't see anything wrong with it, and I didn't call anything, but it struck me as so odd. I've seen players do this during a dead ball, but never in play.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

If it caused an issue to players safety( which it was hint hint) or if he was wearing the uniform in a manner that wasnt prescribed, Id tell him to fix it or leave. Just like the shirt out, shorts down, compression shorts, etc.
When kids do wierd stuff like that I tell them that Kobe who gets paid millions cant do it why should you? They get the point. I would not let someone do anything that would result in a mockery of the game.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

The NBA plays under different rules than youth ball. The pros also wear jewelry. Would you allow that because "Kobe does"? This kid's habit might help him concentrate. When I worked college softball, some batters took their jersey collars between their teeth. I thought is was weird, until I realized it helped them keep their heads down and not jerk on the pitch.

No harm, no foul.

Bob
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I dont think I have ever seen any pros where jewelry on the court. When it comes to uniforms (with the exception of rubber bands on the wrist, numbers, and logos) The NBA is more restrictive on the uniform rule than NF will ever dream of being. Like No Tshirts! No compression shorts that show, no jewelry, etc!!I think you missed my point, kids should not be allowed to wear their uniform in a manner that it was intended. For softball since you mentioned it doesnt allow them to wear the cap backwards.....why should a kid wear a jersey real wierd Is he trying to push his limits?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question I don't understand?

What is the big deal?

Is the kid being a danger to himself or others?

Is the kid making it hard for the officials to do their job?

Is the kid being offensive?

If the answer to all of these is no, then it as nothing to do with the referees. If the ref still belives that it is a problem, then bring it up with the coach and it is up to them to take action if they think it deserves it.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 08:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

What NBA............

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
The NBA plays under different rules than youth ball. The pros also wear jewelry. Would you allow that because "Kobe does"? This kid's habit might help him concentrate. When I worked college softball, some batters took their jersey collars between their teeth. I thought is was weird, until I realized it helped them keep their heads down and not jerk on the pitch.

No harm, no foul.

Bob
game have you ever seen jewelry? You have not seen them wear jewelry in a actual game. They are on a job and that would be a hazard at the work place if they allowed it. This is not Baseball. The only reason they allow jewelry or not allow jewelry is for distraction reasons. But Baseball is not a contact sport like basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 19, 2001, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I don't understand?

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
What is the big deal?

Is the kid being a danger to himself or others?

Is the kid making it hard for the officials to do their job?

Is the kid being offensive?

If the answer to all of these is no, then it as nothing to do with the referees. If the ref still belives that it is a problem, then bring it up with the coach and it is up to them to take action if they think it deserves it.
There's no big deal Oz. Juulie had simply never seen this before and was asking for input.

Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
As far as jewelry is concerned, I played a pickup game of basketball at lunch once and forgot to take off my watch. There was blood on three hands. So jewelry is never allowed at any level of basketball for those reasons. As far as the shirt in the mouth goes. I would give the kid a verbal warning and then if he still doesn't take it out of his mouth sit him down like any other violation of the uniform rule.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
As far as the shirt in the mouth goes. I would give the kid a verbal warning and then if he still doesn't take it out of his mouth sit him down like any other violation of the uniform rule.
Why?

Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
As far as the shirt in the mouth goes. I would give the kid a verbal warning and then if he still doesn't take it out of his mouth sit him down like any other violation of the uniform rule.
Why?
Unauthorized eating on the court?
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I guess, theoretically, you could say he could get his teeth pulled out by doing this, but let's be honest. By pulling and chewing on his/her shirt they just put them selves at a disadvantage. They will spend more time worring about their shirt then their man or the ball.

I say let it go, we have more important things to worry about, like enforcing the coaching box, calling intentional fouls, and palming.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2001, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I guess, theoretically, you could say he could get his teeth pulled out by doing this, but let's be honest. By pulling and chewing on his/her shirt they just put them selves at a disadvantage. They will spend more time worring about their shirt then their man or the ball.

I say let it go, we have more important things to worry about, like enforcing the coaching box, calling intentional fouls, and palming.
This sounds like a wee bit o' sarcasm!

and

I love it!!!