The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well, now you get into the issue of did BOTH teams actively seek the rebound? If the shooting team players on the lane line just stood there because it was two shots, isn't that unfair??? Isn't there a case that addresses that?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Well, now you get into the issue of did BOTH teams actively seek the rebound? If the shooting team players on the lane line just stood there because it was two shots, isn't that unfair??? Isn't there a case that addresses that?
There's a case play that addresses the opposite situation (I think it's the opposite -- I've lost track). IF "everyone" plays on, the ball's live. IF only "one" player is awake, it's a mistake and can be corrected.

I'd apply the same logic here.

Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 05:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The ball remained alive because of the official's error in letting play continue. See case book play 2.10.1SitB.
I know that, JR. But I think it goes againsts the basketball fundamentals. The ball is should be dead when the try misses. The fact that there was no whistle should be irrelevant.
Be that as it may.....

It still makes no nevermind, Chuck.

Rules rulez.....whether we personally agree with 'em or not. That case play sureasheck ain't too much different than the actual play in the first post imo.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
A slightly different view...

As my refereeing experience is based on FIBA rules, some may disagree with me, but...
All the rules reffered to in this case are identical to FIBA rules, including those on live ball, dead ball, and correctable errors.
Looking at the facts, we can easily agree that there should be 2 free throws. For whatever reason, player took a rebound after the first shot, and one must admit that at that point the officials have FUBAR-ed the game (the term is purely technical in this part of the world, it stands for ****ed Up Beyond Any Recognition; the origins go back to the yet unpublished book titled "Bush legacy to the world").
Sorry for that digression. Anyway, the fact remains that the ball was DEAD after the free throw was missed. Any play following this free throw is null and void, just as it would be if the same referees were actually aware of the game situation, and did not run down the court and called the shot good.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

didn't read all the posts but...

I haven't read all the posts, but I was involved in a correctable error situation last week in a JuCo Men's game.

We caught the problem immediately and properly administered the correctable error rule (wrong shooter), so there was no affect at all on the game, except our evaluator wasn't too impress with us for letting situation happen in the first place. It definitely negatively influenced his over-all impression of us a crew (and who could blame him).

This situation caused me to thoroughly peruse the NCAA Correctable Error rule (also check out latest edition of Referee Mag) and it really hit me in the head that you never, ever want to put yourself in a correctable error situation. A team can really get screwed by our carelessness.

Bottomline, we need to practice the requisite game management skills that would preclude us from ever haven't to enforce the Correctable Error rule.