The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm a high school ref in CA and we use the shot clock for both boys and girls games. A question came up at dinner on Friday night with some officials that I was hoping you all could help with.

When is the shot clock supposed to start on a throw in? Since the High school rule book doesn't specifically address the shot clock, it is my understanding that we use the mens college rules for this. With some research we found that the college rule calls for the shot clock and game clock to start when the ball is first touched on an inbound. However, in college, there is team control on a throw in while in high school, team control does not exist until someone gains possession.

So here is my dilemna, do we start the shot clock on Team A when they don't yet have the ball from a throw in but the pass was tipped by team B? If so, that means that the shot clock could run out before they gain possession if there was only a second or two on the shot clock and they would be charged with a violation while not having team control.

Thanks for you help!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos
do we start the shot clock on Team A when they don't yet have the ball from a throw in but the pass was tipped by team B?
If you're using NCAA rules, then yes.

Quote:
If so, that means that the shot clock could run out before they gain possession if there was only a second or two on the shot clock and they would be charged with a violation while not having team control.
You are correct. And this was also possible in NCAA until they changed the team control rules a couple seasons ago.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Bronco, I meant to include this comment. The real problem is that there are no shot clock rules in the FED book, as you pointed out. So if your state wants to use a shot clock, they either have to write their own rules or adapt the NCAA rules. Unfortunately, the adaptations are rarely spelled out in detail as they should be.

So get together with your board interpreter or send a letter to your state athletic association and find out exactly what the rules are for your state.

BTW, according to my conference call last night, the shot clock will not be added to the FED rulebook anytime in the foreseeable future, even as a state adoption. So this problem is going to persist for years and years for states that use the shot clock.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Your CBOA hand book should have California Rules Modifications in them regarding the shot clock. Check that out and see if your question. I don't have mine handy right now or else I would look it up for you.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
BTW, according to my conference call last night, the shot clock will not be added to the FED rulebook anytime in the foreseeable future, even as a state adoption.
Having said that fresh out of the conference call, guess what shows up on the NFHS questionnaire today? Should states be allowed to use the shot clock by state adoption? Go figure.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Yes! The shot clock has become a part of the game as far as I'm concerned. From what I hear about basketball where there is not a shot clock, it is a hold and wait game the whole time.

With a shot clock, you have to run offense and take shots ever 30 or 35 seconds depending on if it is boys or girls. NBA 24 seconds is not long enough.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I did check with my state rules interpretor and he said that the CIF follows the NCAA men's rules for the shot clock. He did agree, however, that it may put a team at a disadvantage as they may not get the full shot clock while in team control (since there is no team control on a throw in).

Hopefully the NFHS will look at this rule and consider including the shot clock for state adoption (if not just making it a rule in all states).