The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

You guys will never believe this. A high school coach asked me this question. He comes up to me and said “can I ask you a question”? I say “Yes”. He asks “since when can a player driving to the basket, jump and stop on both feet and then make a lay-up” I paused (shocked by the question) and answered at least the past twenty years. The technical term is Jump-Stop”. He stared at me in disbelief and said “ what do you think this is the NBA”. I just shook me head and walked away. WOW!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Of course I am not surprised. That is what coaches do. They do not know the rules and they ask questions that reflect that. I am not surprised at all. It is common place to get those kinds of questions from coaches.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref-X
You guys will never believe this. A high school coach asked me this question. He comes up to me and said “can I ask you a question”?
You should have responded "You mean besides the one you just asked me?"

On second thought...you didn't know what was coming and that probably would have set a bad tone.

At least he was brave enough to risk the embarresment of asking.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

You know Rut. I expect this kind of questions from a Rec league coach, not a high school coach. I think one of his players had to explain it to him.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'd believe it. Last week, on Monday I had a terrible JV team. At one point I call a pushing foul on them because after an offensive player took a 3, the defensive player (from the terrible team) pushed him about 4 steps oob. Coach asks what happened and I explain that the player had great position, but instead of holding that nice box out, the defensive player pushed the offensive player back, which is a foul. The coach says, "That makes sense, we've had that called about 4 times and I didn't understand the call." I get the same team at home AFTER the varsity game (weirdest double header I've ever worked). One of my parners calls one of the home players for a push when the kid backs the offensive player pretty much out into the hall. Coach throws up his hands and yells, "That looks like a good box out to me." No wonder his team struggled. One of his players fouled out of the varsity game in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter. He also fouled out of the JV game in the first half, playing 6 minute quarters. So on the night, the kid committed 10 fouls in right around 4 quarters of play. Luckily I have one more JV/V double header left with 2 very good teams. I'd hate to end the season on the mess we had Friday night.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You know Rut. I expect this kind of questions from a Rec league coach, not a high school coach. I think one of his players had to explain it to him.
I would expect that from a HS coach. Not all HS coaches are competent or "qualified" to coach that level. A lot of HS coaches are thrown into those positions and did not have to beat out a lot of people to coach those teams. I have even heard crazy things from college coaches. I would not be surprised one bit that any coach would say something like this when most coaches do not look at the rules or go through the same process to understand the game from our perspective that we take.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
You guys will never believe this. A high school coach asked me this question. He comes up to me and said “can I ask you a question”? I say “Yes”. He asks “since when can a player driving to the basket, jump and stop on both feet and then make a lay-up” I paused (shocked by the question) and answered at least the past twenty years. The technical term is Jump-Stop”. He stared at me in disbelief and said “ what do you think this is the NBA”. I just shook me head and walked away. WOW!

Yes, I can believe this. I had a D1 women's college coach, year's ago, ask me to go over the travel rule with her after her team had finished practice. I used the rule book and casebook and we went through the rules literally step-by-step. When we were done, she told me that the rules were wrong. Go figure.

Also, I wish I had a dollar for every time a coach has requested a timeout while his team has control of the ball in front of their bench, and then after the timeout the coach asks me who gets the ball and where?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Coach seems frustrated and your response certainly didn't help. Why not ask the coach to explain his frustration a bit better and see if you can truly help? The jump stop is a point for discussion and some questioning even among the most learned officials, so why the surprise when a coach has a question?

No one deliberately asks a stupid question - maybe it sounds that way to us, but try a bit of patience and being helpful may help break down some of the barriers....just a thought.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
Coach seems frustrated and your response certainly didn't help. Why not ask the coach to explain his frustration a bit better and see if you can truly help? The jump stop is a point for discussion and some questioning even among the most learned officials, so why the surprise when a coach has a question?

No one deliberately asks a stupid question - maybe it sounds that way to us, but try a bit of patience and being helpful may help break down some of the barriers....just a thought.
ditttoo, great point....let me know how that works for YOU.
Every now and then, a coach is sincere in their question but I oftentimes find this as an opportunity for them to disguise a complaint about another official or a complaint about me.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My response to his question was appropriate to the manner in which he asked
You are correct the coach may have been a little frustrated; his team was losing by a large margin. But he was asking me about a very common play in basketball, one that I seen 7th & 8th graders execute to perfection, like he had never seen it before until that game. When a player on your bench has to explain this to you maybe you should try a little harder to learn about the sport you are coaching.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Also, I wish I had a dollar for every time a coach has requested a timeout while his team has control of the ball in front of their bench, and then after the timeout the coach asks me who gets the ball and where?

MTD, Sr.
This or the players wandering out after a TO or an intermission wanting to know who gets the ball where. Or after holding up 2 fingers & yelling "2 SHOTS!" one of the players looks at you in near panic, asking how many shots.

Unbelievable.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I have to disagree with you. I like the way Rex-X handled it. You walk away when the coach is clearly trying to get argumentative with you after you gave him/her an answer. You are not obligated to answer any question or to go through a long conversation so the coach can agree with what you say. Also, how long do you expect anyone to talk through a situation with the coach? I am lucky if I can say more than one sentence to a coach during live ball play. I am not going to have an elongated conversation with a coach when that coach clearly is ignorant and wants to tell you the official what the rules are. It is most of the time best to walk away.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I disagree, asking stupid questions is a tactic coaches use to "work" officials, or to test officials. Last Friday in a GV game, a very experienced and knowledgeble coach asked my partner (who he'd never seen before), "Shouldn't that shot be a 2 because she landed inside the 3 point line?" When my partner, a very solid basketball official and college baseball umpire, came to me during a timeout with a befuddled look on his face and told me what happened, I laughed and told him that this coach is just testing you. This is a tactic that might work in exposing newer, less confident officials who don't necessarily know the rules too well through intimidation. Personally I think this tactic is very bush league, but all coaches are not benevolent and they will deliberately ask stupid questions if doing so could give them or their team an edge.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mind you, there's only 2 weeks left in the regular season around here. Friday night I reminded a coach about her coaching box and she said; "where's my box, is it marked?" We were at her gym. In case anyone was wondering; no, I did not answer her question.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was the linesman in a JV football game a few years ago. The R threw a flag on a relatively routine penalty (I don't recall the penalty--its immaterial). The JV head coach (at a good football school no less) stormed at me asking how could the referee make that call. I responded it was a good call, right in line with the rules. He asked how did the referee and I know that the play was illegal. I stood there for a few seconds thinking it must have been a trick question. Finally I said its our job to know the rules. It was a like a lightbulb went on in his head, and he didn't bother me again the rest of the game. An almost surreal experience.