The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches don't ask questions to learn the game. If they did, they would actually have a clue about the rules. They ask questions for one reason--to try to gain some type of advantage and (to their way of thinking) work the officials. I WISH coaches were interested in becoming more knowledgeable about the rules! Of course, you have the occasional coach who does know a little about basketball and works his players instead of the refs. Usually they are on the winning bench.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Rec. League

I am a commish of a large rec. league.

I have some so-so coaches...

I had a coach ask me why the other players are not called for 3 seconds. I said HUH? He said well 3 seconds resets when a player shoots the ball, but the other players on his team didn't shoot the ball.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rec. League

Quote:
Originally posted by BrentD22
I am a commish of a large rec. league.

I have some so-so coaches...

I had a coach ask me why the other players are not called for 3 seconds. I said HUH? He said well 3 seconds resets when a player shoots the ball, but the other players on his team didn't shoot the ball.
Any COACH that asked this question should be stripped of that title.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a girls CYO game and called a 5 second closely guarded violation. The coach, not at all happy, asked me how long the rule has been in effect. I told her I wasn't sure how long but it was in effect now. At halftime I pulled out my rule book and showed her the rule. She said it was ridiculous and that six feet is too much space. I finally told her we were playing by the official rules and not her rules. She shut up.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndog89
...(I don't recall the penalty--its immaterial). ...
Immaterial? Are you a CPA or something?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
I was working a girls CYO game and called a 5 second closely guarded violation. The coach, not at all happy, asked me how long the rule has been in effect. I told her I wasn't sure how long but it was in effect now. At halftime I pulled out my rule book and showed her the rule. She said it was ridiculous and that six feet is too much space. I finally told her we were playing by the official rules and not her rules. She shut up.
This is the biggest issue I have with Rec. league and CYO coaches. They are supposed to be teaching kid the game of basketball, but someone needs to teach them. They sit there and complain and question calls without a clue about the rules or how they are applied. When it is so easy to pick up a book or go on the internet and learn the rules of the game they are teaching.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
Ignorance hurts....

High school regional champs.Last 7 seconds of the game. Red team is one point down, starting from the sideline in the backcourt. Blue team plays press, with three blue players in the red teams backcourt. Very intense situation. Red player passes the ball in to his team mate, who starts driving the ball up the court, then passes the ball across the half way line straight to a blue player, who intercepted the ball about four steps away from the halfway line, and starts running across the court.
Coach of the red team jumps up and starts SCREAMING for a violation, ball returned to backcourt.Even his players give him a wierd look. As he keeps screaming, he gets the big T. Red team lost by 3 points. But wait, there's more:after the game, he lodges an official complaint!
Did not see him coach any HS teams in the region next year.
The morale of the story:ignorance hurts! Good intentions are not enough to be a coach.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Coaches don't ask questions to learn the game. If they did, they would actually have a clue about the rules. They ask questions for one reason--to try to gain some type of advantage and (to their way of thinking) work the officials.
OK, I don't want to disturb your generalizations too much but I am a coach who actually asks questions for at least three reasons.

1) Ask for more info about what happened. Especially in regard to fouls, I often want to know what an official saw and called early in a game so I can help my players adjust. Body contact, hit shooter's elbow, hacked dribbler's arm? Quick clarification so I can talk with my team at the break to add a focus that will help us clean it up if needed.

2) Rules clarification. I do read the rule book and I actually hang out on an officials forum to learn more about the rules, so, yes, I want to understand the rules. If I can get a quick clarification during the action I will ask for it. Sometimes I ask before or after a game if I'm curious and I remember to ask.

3) Working a situation - yes I do this sometimes. I have never asked a disingenuous question like, "he shot from 3 but landed in 2 so shouldn't that be a 2?" I agree with SMEngmann that this is bush. If I sincerely have a question, I ask it. On a very rare occasion, I'm convinced I know the rule better than the official (not so much in high school, but sometimes when I coached a 7th/8th-grade team for 2 seasons) but I would never say this directly to them out loud unless I completely lost my mind.

If the rules were simple enough to just absorb by reading the book, this forum wouldn't exist, right? If a coach is asking an ignorant question loudly he/she is showing demonstrating ignorance in front of players and fans/parents so the choices seem pretty straight-forward:

a) allow to continue to so he/she makes an idiot of him/herself and just ignore the question.

b) take pity and teach so he/she can choose between looking like an idiot and shutting up.

c) if you think the question is disingenuous warn or whack.

I know that fans and players and crappy coaches heap all sorts of unwarranted abuse on officials but the coaches I work with generally respect officials (even if they don't communicate it in the heat of battle) and are pretty discriminating between the good ones and the few they don't think are good. They also understand the difference between the call that drove them nuts and the overall professionalism of the official who made it. These are the coaches who I want to be the general examples who represent me.

[Edited by bebanovich on Feb 23rd, 2006 at 05:43 PM]
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When it is so easy to pick up a book or go on the internet and learn the rules of the game they are teaching.
Sigh . . . this is a good point too. Can we start a fund to buy extra books to hand out to obnoxious youth coaches when they act like this?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
Quote:
When it is so easy to pick up a book or go on the internet and learn the rules of the game they are teaching.
Sigh . . . this is a good point too. Can we start a fund to buy extra books to hand out to obnoxious youth coaches when they act like this?
If they don't respect the game enough to shell out a few bucks to purchase the book, what makes you think they will read it if you hand it to them on a platter?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Originally posted by bebanovich
Quote:
If they don't respect the game enough to shell out a few bucks to purchase the book, what makes you think they will read it if you hand it to them on a platter?
I was thinking of this more as a shutter-upper than a library-builder. Maybe we could have them printed the size of those giant PR novelty checks.