The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Last night was my last game for high school this season. I had a good game with upbeat and supportive partners.

I had seriously considered not returning this year after last season. Last year was my second year and was not a growth year, mostly because the assignor gave me too many games with the same partner. (One who isn't much of a teacher.)

We had a new assignor this year. He gave me a better mix of games and partners. He had me work "up" a few games, always partnering me with some of the better officials. I really felt like I grew as an official.

It doesn't hurt that I had a good game last night. I called some good fouls (one of my weak points yet) and made some other good calls. Then on my way home, my husband shared some funny statements from a less than knowledgeable parent. Made for some good laughs.

I'm sharing so that you veterans realize how important your attitude is for keeping the new officials.

So, I'll be returning for one more season at least. Got to get one more season from my new jacket.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

good luck Rita, glad to hear you will becoming back again.

Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Keeping working hard, go to camp, set goals and go for them!
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
Last night was my last game for high school this season. I had a good game with upbeat and supportive partners.

I had seriously considered not returning this year after last season. Last year was my second year and was not a growth year, mostly because the assignor gave me too many games with the same partner. (One who isn't much of a teacher.)

We had a new assignor this year. He gave me a better mix of games and partners. He had me work "up" a few games, always partnering me with some of the better officials. I really felt like I grew as an official.

It doesn't hurt that I had a good game last night. I called some good fouls (one of my weak points yet) and made some other good calls. Then on my way home, my husband shared some funny statements from a less than knowledgeable parent. Made for some good laughs.

I'm sharing so that you veterans realize how important your attitude is for keeping the new officials.

So, I'll be returning for one more season at least. Got to get one more season from my new jacket.

Rita
Hang in there, Rita.

What with D3 college taking a host officials for 3-person crews, increased work by the older officials who are left and thus increased injury, traveling team games during the season providing easy games for easy money with less travel required by the official, less flexible work environments (including public school employees, who have more after school meetings, etc.), and, last, for this list though hardly least, increased bozo-ism on the part of fans and many coaches, high school officials are fading away . . . in my particular bailiwick . . .
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rita --

It's nice to hear that your year went better. I hope you'll stick to it. The basketball world needs all the good female refs we can get!
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 08:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Rita,

Congrats on completing your season! I'm certainly glad things ended well for you. As Juulie stated, I hope you stick with it as the need for officials is growing.

Good luck in the off season with your training.

I'm looking forward to another clinic this summer if I can find one.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I sometimes get the same feelings as you have had Rita, about not returning. This is my 5th season. I guess it is like anything in life, there are ups and downs. Some nights I have a blast, others I wonder why I do this at all. I had been in a bit of a rut the past few weeks, ugly games, not really enjoying it, looking forward to the end of the season. Then Saturday night I worked a jv/varsity boys double over in Illinois. First game was nothing special but the varsity game was the most intense game I have had in years. Home team came from behind to tie it late in the 4th quarter, visitors had a shot to win at the buzzer and missed. Went to overtime where the home team took charge and won by 9. So loud at times we could barely hear each others whistles, literally could not hear the horn at the end of regulation. Got booed by the home crowd for every call against them in the 4th quarter and overtime. Coaches barking at us, nothing over the line, just intense. What a rush! I felt like my partners and I did a great job, especially down the stretch. Made me want to come back again next year.