The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Cool

http://www.ereferee.com/ubb/icons/icon5.gif
Please respond to this situation that happened to me in a boys modified game:
B1 is called for a common foul against A1. The ball is taken out by A1 who passes in to A2. Immediately, B2 is called for a common foul against A2. As I approach the table, the scorers indicate that the common foul by B1 was the team's 7th of the half and that the common foul by B2 is the team's 8th. Since the window of opportunity is still open to correct the error, how should it be handled? Thank you in advance for any responses.
--TGR
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Good question. My gut reaction was to let A1 shoot 1&1 and cancel the common foul by B2. However, since 2-10-4 only applies to unmerited free throws and those by the wrong player or wrong basket, 2-10-5 and 2-10-6 are the applicable rules:

ART. 5 . . . Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified...

ART. 6 . . . If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

Assuming that "team possession" (which, BTW, i can't find defined in the Rule Book) hasn't changed because of B2's foul, play should resume after A1's free throws.

This means that you should let A2 shoot his 1&1 with the lane cleared first. Then let A1 shoot his 1&1 with the players lined up and resume from there...

Also, Team B's coach (or designated player) gets one free penalty hit of both the official scorekeeper and timer for causing his team to get screwed like this...
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ken roberts on 01-12-2000 01:49 PM
This means that you should let A2 shoot his 1&1 with the lane cleared first. Then let A1 shoot his 1&1 with the players lined up and resume from there...

Sounds good, I'd be shooting both sets of free throws. But my gut reaction would have been to handle it kind of like a false double foul situation, and would shoot the free throws in order of the fouls. A1 shoots first with lanes cleared, then A2 with players in the lane.

I'm sure not claiming that the order is right. That's a tough one...

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is correctable as "...failure to award a merited free throw."

Let A1 shoot his 1 & 1 with lane cleared.

Then A2 shoots his 1 & 1 with the lane filled and the ball alive.