The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Can you give me some examples of some game goals that you might set for your self or your crew, prior to working a game? What do you have to do, too leave at the end of the night feeling good about the game you worked? I know there are alot of variables that could play into this, but I don't know how else to ask the question. Maybe it would be better if I asked how some of you evaluate your game performances? Or, how can I evaluate my game performance?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

All of my experience is 2 man so far (other than camps). If my partner does not mention anything specific during our pregame I usually mention one thing that I am working to improve that year.

For example, I am working on taking two quick steps torward the spot of the foul when I blow my whistle...just in case there is some extracirricular stuff wanting to start. It may be that you have been calling a lot of rec ball with a running clock and are getting into the habit of not always going completely to the reporting area. Sometimes, given the rec league, your partners don't know how to (or just won't) rotate properly...let your partner know that you do not want to take any shortcuts or move a designated spot throw-in just to avoid a rotation late in the game. It can be anything.

A lot of new officials do not have a crips, shoulder high count (a pet peave with a lot of veterans in my chapter)...set yourself a goal to improve that, or make sure you always use the table side arm so the coach can see the count.

After the game, evaluate how you did on that part of the game. Your partner will probably not be able to give you much feedback...he/she should have been busy during the game.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

That is good advice - try to improve on one or a couple of your weaknesses each night. Some guys don't even take the time to think about this....they just go out and have a good game. I have three varsity games this weekend. At that level people expect you to be perfect. There are alot of things that can happen during any one game that can leave you questioning, whether those things were in your control or not. How do you avoid those feelings that leave you wondering if you worked a good game?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
That is good advice - try to improve on one or a couple of your weaknesses each night. Some guys don't even take the time to think about this....they just go out and have a good game. I have three varsity games this weekend. At that level people expect you to be perfect. There are alot of things that can happen during any one game that can leave you questioning, whether those things were in your control or not. How do you avoid those feelings that leave you wondering if you worked a good game?
Having a good solid pregame is one key to having a great game. It gets you all on the same page as far as how you're going to handle situations that most certainly will arise in the game.

Some of the things that make me feel great about a game are if I can answer yes to all these questions about the crew:

Did the crew communicate well with each other, with the table, with coaches and with players?

Did we get the important calls and avoid interrupting the game with needless whistles?

Did we smile and have fun?

Did we let flow happen when possible and did we tighten down the screws when the players made that necessary?

Were we good supportive partners for each other who worked as a team and had each other's backs?

Did we "put out the sparks" (managing the coaching box for example) so that we never had to deal with a roaring fire?

Despite any calls we might have missed, did we create a fair environment for both teams?

Z

Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 06:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I set only one goal - no overtime.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I set only one goal - no overtime.
I hope you're kidding.

Heck, sometimes I would rather do an OT game - because I want the whistle for good games. Its an extra 4 minutes. You should be officiating anything because you enjoy it, not cause you want to get out of there.

If this is truely the case, perhaps somebody else would rather do your games with passion.

If you were kidding I apologize.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you give me some examples of some game goals that you might set for your self or your crew, prior to working a game? What do you have to do, too leave at the end of the night feeling good about the game you worked? I know there are alot of variables that could play into this, but I don't know how else to ask the question. Maybe it would be better if I asked how some of you evaluate your game performances? Or, how can I evaluate my game performance?
I feel that goals are things that I set to get myself to become a better official. I may focus on travelling in a game but my goals do not necessarily make me call a better game. You can set a goal to call a good game but how you do it is a different story.

The kind of things you talk about are usually discussed in pregame, I like to talk about consistency in my pregame, I also like to talk about some other fundamentals, ie referee the defense. That kind of thing, I think these are ways you can call a better game.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I officiated a dbl header with a varstiy boys and girls to follow. We did have a good solid pregame. I felt good about the game for the most part. There always seems to be a play or call that you wish you would have handled a little differently. I guess this will come with time and experience. Some things are starting to become more and more of a reaction while other things are a little slow to register. Traveling and carrying the ball are two calls that I used to have to think about - but know are becoming automatic for me. On some fouls, I am concentrating pretty hard on LGP and advantage/disadvantage, and my whistle is just a little late on some calls. Which sometimes doesn't go over to well. If I am a little late with the whistle, I usually try to sell it a little harder. I feel pretty confident when protecting the shooter, however, when the shot is released and the shooter has not returned to the floor and then might be bumped - I am still a little unsure of how much I should let go here. I went into last night contest with a few things in mind - work hard to get into postion to see the play so that I can call it and then once that is done move on, instead of over analyzing it, and find the next play. And then I forced myself to watch my primary. I felt like we had two good games. I have another tough match up tonight - varsity boys. End of the season - one team undefeated and the other team on a ten game win streak. I can't wait!
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I officiated a dbl header with a varstiy boys and girls to follow. We did have a good solid pregame. I felt good about the game for the most part. There always seems to be a play or call that you wish you would have handled a little differently. I guess this will come with time and experience. Some things are starting to become more and more of a reaction while other things are a little slow to register. Traveling and carrying the ball are two calls that I used to have to think about - but know are becoming automatic for me. On some fouls, I am concentrating pretty hard on LGP and advantage/disadvantage, and my whistle is just a little late on some calls. Which sometimes doesn't go over to well. If I am a little late with the whistle, I usually try to sell it a little harder. I feel pretty confident when protecting the shooter, however, when the shot is released and the shooter has not returned to the floor and then might be bumped - I am still a little unsure of how much I should let go here. I went into last night contest with a few things in mind - work hard to get into postion to see the play so that I can call it and then once that is done move on, instead of over analyzing it, and find the next play. And then I forced myself to watch my primary. I felt like we had two good games. I have another tough match up tonight - varsity boys. End of the season - one team undefeated and the other team on a ten game win streak. I can't wait!
It sounds like you got things pretty well in hand. Just keep working hard to get better and results will keep coming.

P.S. Experience will never take away those calls that you question yourself about at the end of the game. It is you critiquing yourself and wanting to get all your plays right.