The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

What do you get when you combined Fraternity boys, intramural basketball, and an 11pm game with close to 50 fans for a Week 1 game?

Besides a lot of pushing, shoving, intentional fouls, etc also had this fun series of events --

B1 catches the inbounds pass and is literally tackled to the ground by A1 -- I whistle intentional foul rather than flagrant, although in retrospect it may have been flagrant -- but I gave it the intentional call because he was intentionally trying to stop the clock and once the whistle blew (almost simultaneous with the tackle), he did not attempt to further bring the guy down, etc.

All A players are obviously moaning and groaning in some colorful language but before I can figure out who the guilty party is, A2 comes up and picks up the ball, places in front of my face stating "You want to touch it" and then rolls it down the court and says "Go get it b**tch", which prompts his second Technical of the night (ironically, earlier for throwing the ball against the wall and screaming "f**k that"). As I go to report that technical, A3 begins to approach me throwing his arms in the air while being restrained by his teammates, then he escapes from them and starts to take off his shirt, asking me if I "wanna go" (implied fight). I WHACK him and call off the game as we have a 3 techs = a forfeit rule. As I go to get out of harms way he continues to run his mouth, eventually shouting that we all "need a new ****ing job cause you all suck" For good measure, I gave him a second technical (when in reality I should've just flagrantly teched him for his first actions), thus ejecting him to ensure he has a low probability of playing the rest of the season.

After the game, several of the A players are actually apologetic, but then the assistant coach (I know, what're coaches doing in intramurals? lol) tries to justify their actions saying "All you called all night was pushes and blocks but you missed all the moving picks and over the back calls... if you're not gonna let them play at least call everything) I just chuckled at him as I made my way to back area.

All in all, its good to be back.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Man I know i played on a fraternity team and that crap goes on all the time. Just take it with a grain of salt. Good job of whacking those guys. No one in ours throws out T's. I am working on correcting that.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

That's why I adamantly refuse to call college intramurals anymore. I called them one season when I was a fairly new official. In one game a kid threw a punch at me. Fortunately I was able to stop him from hitting me (big Samoan kid...I'd probably still be down if the punch had landed). I threw him out of the gym, reported it to the rec director (who was a good friend of mine and a senior football & b-ball official in the area). Never saw the kid again and later heard he was thrown out of school, in part over that incident.

Just not enough money to drag me back into college intramurals.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 07:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Wow.

The men's leagues around here are tough some nights, but nothing near that at all.

I would never do games like those above again.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

When I was in College the Athletic Dept. would give you $5 to Ref the Intramural League Games. Worst ones were "Frats" against the "Black Guys". Small college, I knew most of the guys. On each Team about 3 could play. Any whistle resulted in one of two comments:

1. Black guys - "John, you're sticking up for the "white guys".

2. Frat guys - "John, you're letting the black guys intimidate you!"

Thank God a GIQ was only fifty-five cents then. It made all the pain worth it.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Small College Intermurals

While I was in college down in Alabama, I officiated the majority of the intermural sports (Flag football, basketball, softball). The most interesting game I had was when one team was the football players (Team A) and the other team was on of the black frats, I think it was the Kappa's (Team B). Everyone knew me (small campus of about 1,300 total students). After a made lay-up by one of my friends, Team A, he grabed the ball with both hands and slams it down and doesn't catch it. He looks right at me, and I not only give him the T, but I popped it hard. As I report the T, my partner admins the two free throws, and the coach looked at me as well as the player; I told the coach and the player, he knew if he did anything stupid I would T him and anyone else. BTW, there is only like 3 min gone in the game.

I actually got suspened for popping the T. Hell for $4.50 a game, I laughed as the following week the admin for the intermurals begged me to come back and doubled the pay.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
When I was in College the Athletic Dept. would give you $5 to Ref the Intramural League Games. Worst ones were "Frats" against the "Black Guys". Small college, I knew most of the guys. On each Team about 3 could play. Any whistle resulted in one of two comments:

1. Black guys - "John, you're sticking up for the "white guys".

2. Frat guys - "John, you're letting the black guys intimidate you!"

Thank God a GIQ was only fifty-five cents then. It made all the pain worth it.
Giant Imperial Quart. Haven't heard that for a long time!
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Growing up in Fall River (MA).....we'd always specify the larger cans by using the "term 1/2 quarts" as in..."Gimme a sixpack of Sclitz in 1/2 quarts". I moved to Boston when I got out of college and visited my first Boston Package Store. When I ordered the guy replied, "You means pints, kid?" I never thought about it until then.

I've never heard "1/2 quarts" any where else on earth.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Growing up in Fall River (MA).....we'd always specify the larger cans by using the "term 1/2 quarts" as in..."Gimme a sixpack of Sclitz in 1/2 quarts". I moved to Boston when I got out of college and visited my first Boston Package Store. When I ordered the guy replied, "You means pints, kid?" I never thought about it until then.

I've never heard "1/2 quarts" any where else on earth.
Where in Boston did you live? I grew up in the Mission Hill section of Boston. When I was young I would get two GIQ's because they were cheaper than a six pack.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

bradford

sounds like UCI to me lol
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I lived on Colborne Road in Brighton. Across Com Ave by the Mercedes Dealership there was a Packy that delivered! I thought Boston was just GREAT!

(It did catch up with me in about 10 years.)