The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Yes these are all true events from this week. Late season intensity I guess. Asking advise.

1) During play, bench players standing constantly. Coach warned. Coach then instructs the bench to "do the wave" so all are not standing at once.

2) Assistant coach talking on a cell phone during live ball.

3) Assistant coach standing. Warned coach. Assistant was standing taping an ankle of a previously injured player. We asked she (AC) sit. Refused because player was hurt and attention was being given.

You make the call!
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:47am
9 times

1. First, I would not let the players stand all the time. One warning and then a T. In the instance given, T at the wave instruction

2. Tell the coach to end the conversation, if it persists, T.

3. I have no problem with the asst taping an ankle or giving any other medical assistance. Then sit down.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

1. T.

2. Ignore.

3. Unless AC is standing in such a way that she is interfering with play or with your running along the sidelines, ignore this kind of standing.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree with btgt19 on all situations. Why T an assistant for talking on the phone? That's a bit of a reach. It's very unprofessional, but I don't see a problem with it as long as he's on the bench where he belongs. Besides, maybe he's ordering a pizza for the official's locker room after the game.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Why T an assistant for talking on the phone?
What if he's talking to the guy who's sitting right behind the opponent's bench, listening in on the huddle? Get him off the phone, or get him off the bench. JMO
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Why T an assistant for talking on the phone?
What if he's talking to the guy who's sitting right behind the opponent's bench, listening in on the huddle? Get him off the phone, or get him off the bench. JMO
Thuis is kinda where I was going. Rule book says:
ART. 3 . . . Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.

In this situation (2 of 3) I was wondering ... Do I have to stop a game and ask who s/he's talking too!?! and determine if its for coaching purposes? Or do I assume and prohibit. Weird. An I'll close by wondering if they would be genuine in their answer anyway.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
ART. 3 . . . Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.
The problem is that it says "for coaching purposes". If the guy is on the phone with his wife b/c she wants him to pick up some milk on the way home from the game, that doesn't seem to be a problem by rule.

But, of course, how do you know? I think you just say he can't use it on the bench. Feel free to use it in the hallway, just not on the bench.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
What if he's talking to the guy who's sitting right behind the opponent's bench, listening in on the huddle?
Well, since it is a live ball, any huddle at the opponent's bench is probably just a diversionary tactic to throw off the listening team....

Just messin' with you Chuck (and not very artfully, at that!). I like this discussion forum because it equips me with information I wouldn't necessarily otherwise have (or at least not as quickly). I hadn't thought of a cell phone as being useful for coaching purposes -- hence my counsel to ignore -- but I suppose absent some suggestion that it WAS being used for coaching purposes, the best advice might be to say to a coach (or directly to the AC) at a convenient dead ball: "Electronic devices aren't allowed on the bench for coaching purposes, coach. You may not have been using it for that reason, but since we'll never know why a phone is being used, it's just better to keep it off the bench, O.K.? Thanks."
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

1) I would personally warn as much as possible - then T. They can stand to spontaneously react to a play, but then must sit down.

2) Who cares!!!!! Ignore it.

3) Pass on it. Let the assistant tape an ankle and get back to coaching.

Bench decorum is certainly a point of emphasis from assignors/state associations, but we shouldn't become involved with every minute detail. Call the obvious, call what's important and manage the rest.