The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

My various partners who do different things at the table--with the books, timers, scorekeepers, etc.,--during the pregame. Is there a set procedure, certain things that are recommended to be done....like signing the book, lining through empty team member lines, having or not having the coaches sign or initial the book? Thanks for your input....
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Skarecrow, I am not aware of a "set procedure" that is proscribed for all officials. I think this is an area-by-area thing. The fact that your partners are all doing it differently may mean that your area does not have a set way of doing things either.

When I go to the table, I (1) designate the official scorebook; (2) put in my and my partners' stickers (instead of "signing") into both the official book and any other scorebook at the table; (3) check the official book to see if the same number of players are warming up as are in the book (if the book lists more, I don't worry), then check to ensure that all the players' numbers in the book are legal and that there are no duplicates on the same team, then check to make sure that the starters are designated; (4) briefly talk to the official scorer (s/he is part of the officiating crew tonight, we'll appreciate her/his neutral demeanor at the table, we'll appreciate it if s/he waits for us to report the call before marking it in the book, does s/he have any questions about her/his duties?, if s/he has any issues that come up during the game just ask the timer to give us a horn and we'll get it sorted out); (5) briefly talk to the official timer (s/he is part of the officiating crew tonight, we'll appreciate her/his neutral demeanor at the table, explain when we'd like horns during timeouts and when substitutes come to the table, explain the procedure we'll use if we have a disqualified player); and (6) check the game ball to see if it is properly marked and inflated.

I think that's about it. The routine is easier to do than to explain! If I were you, I'd ask either your assignor or association president how they'd like it done; in the absence of one of those people, just ask the official whom you respect the most in your area. Best wishes.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

thanks BG for the response....do you have the coaches sign the book? I have seen that done as well....and I will check with the local association for guidance...should have done that first, I guess. Maybe trying to avoid appearing dumb...In this forum, I am a little more anonymous...maybe that's why I brought it up here...thanks, again
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

You were right to ask here first! Although not all of the stuff in this forum is valuable, there ARE plenty of nuggets which are helpful. I try to give a few of the nuggets and I receive a lot of them. By all means, keep raising your questions!

I don't have the coaches sign the book, and I haven't seen anyone in my area do that. It's not wrong to have them sign (I think the main point is to have the coach "agree" to the accuracy of the book). If others in your area are having them sign, it makes sense to me to have everyone do it. If you run into a book problem, you know the first thing you're going to hear: "You never asked me to sign the book!" It's always the official's fault....