The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

At a game in our area this weekend. The home team score keeper failed to notify the officials when 3 of the kids on the home team had fouled out. The kids ended up with 7 fouls on one kid, 6 fouls on another and 8 on the 3rd kid. The opposing coaches score keeper was ill so he didnt have a score keeper. This was in a high school game. What shoud have or should be done?

Thanks
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

When the error is discovered, all 3 kids are disqualified. All fouls committed and points scored by these players affter their 5th foul still count.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

It wasnt discovered until after the game. To take it further...... What if the home team had won the game?
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Have school officials contact the state and see what recourse they have.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

The refs, were they kids or something just starting out. I usually know when a kid is getting close to fouling out. Let alone 7 or 8 fouls! I'm not sure what this says about the refs. This was a REAL GAME!or not! I can't believe refs would let this happen.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yes this was a real game. As a matter of fact it was for the District Championship. It was not intended as a rip towards the officials. The officals did an excellent job! I was just wondering because I have never heard of this happening before and I dont think its covered under the correctable errors section of the rule book.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by archer
Yes this was a real game. As a matter of fact it was for the District Championship. It was not intended as a rip towards the officials. The officals did an excellent job! I was just wondering because I have never heard of this happening before and I dont think its covered under the correctable errors section of the rule book.
It's covered in the rules by stating that the player isn't DQd until the scorer notifies the official that the player has committed 5 fouls.

If that didn't happen until after the game, then it's, by rule, "legal."

If there's some hint that the scorer "cheated" then the league (or similar) administrators will have to deal with it.

Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob. That was what I was looking for.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Where was the visiting scorekeeper? There are reasons for having two. Among them is ensuring that the foul counts are accurate and, when needed, brought to the officials' attention.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

What was the opposing coach doing during this time? Most coaches I've worked games for have a sense of what's going on, and would have questioned this.

But, as already stated, the players are only DQ'ed after the officials are notified of the fifth foul.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Reading between the lines here, it sounds like this game was hammered with fouls, so many that three players fouled out with no bench notification. I have been involved in games on rare occasions where the officials are only concentrating on protecting kids. Sounds to me like this was the case. Can we all say U G L Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!