The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I was trail in a 3-man crew. A1 set up to shoot for a three point shot from the corner. I saw B1 coming hard and fast so I stayed with the shooter to watch for contact. I called a foul on B1 and reported it as a foul and three shots. Coach B was upset about the shots and kept saying he was passing the ball. When I turned from reporting my partners were set up for a throw-in. Now I was confused so I went to the lead and asked him if A1 was shooting or passing. He asked me if I saw the ball blocked at all by B1. I said no. He said then, in his judgement, it was a pass because it was nowhere near the basket. I did not see the end of the shot since I was watching for the contact at the end of the try so I changed it to a throw-in for A. Coach A asked about it and I explained to him what happened. He was okay with it but is this an allowable procedure to change the foul from a shooting to a non-shooting foul?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Sure is OK. Especially if your partner saw that there was really no arc on the "shot" and it went directly to one of the teammates of the shooter.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Last night I was trail in a 3-man crew. A1 set up to shoot for a three point shot from the corner. I saw B1 coming hard and fast so I stayed with the shooter to watch for contact. I called a foul on B1 and reported it as a foul and three shots. Coach B was upset about the shots and kept saying he was passing the ball. When I turned from reporting my partners were set up for a throw-in. Now I was confused so I went to the lead and asked him if A1 was shooting or passing. He asked me if I saw the ball blocked at all by B1. I said no. He said then, in his judgement, it was a pass because it was nowhere near the basket. I did not see the end of the shot since I was watching for the contact at the end of the try so I changed it to a throw-in for A. Coach A asked about it and I explained to him what happened. He was okay with it but is this an allowable procedure to change the foul from a shooting to a non-shooting foul?

Your lead needs remedial training. I am trying to not go into a rant on your partners, but your lead's reasoning is about as stupid as stupid gets. The fact that B1 blocked the shot does not negate the fact the A1 was fouled in the act of shooting. A1 should have been on the line for three free throws.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Did you hold three fingers in the air when the offensive player jumped?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I did. The way he set up it sure looked to me like a shot but I guess that when he went up he somehow threw it low. Maybe I was just way out there and thought I saw something else but it sure looked to me at the time like he was shooting.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

The partner may have asked trail if ball was blocked which could have caused the flight to be altered away from the hoop, making it look like a pass. If it wasn't blocked, the case for a pass becomes more explainable.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I did. The way he set up it sure looked to me like a shot but I guess that when he went up he somehow threw it low. Maybe I was just way out there and thought I saw something else but it sure looked to me at the time like he was shooting.
A tough read. Perhaps the shooter aborted the shot purposely, perhaps not. A low arc can reflect the shooter becoming physically defensive about impending contact.