The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time-out on inbound pass? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24770-time-out-inbound-pass.html)

hooper Sun Feb 05, 2006 03:20pm

Question about when a time-out will be granted.

In the league where I coach, the refs do not seem to have a consistent rule about how to handle this, so I was wondering what the official rule is:

Will time-out be granted during the following:

1. Ball is taken out of bounds after a foul or violation. Can defensive team call a time-out before ball is given to inbounder?

2. After a made basket when referee asks for ball. Ball is in possession of ref, can defense call time-out? (I know the ref does not need to touch the ball after a made basket, but this one happens a lot.)

3. Ball is taken out of bounds after being knocked out. Can defensive team call time-out?

devdog69 Sun Feb 05, 2006 03:48pm

1. Yes, up until the ball is given to the inbounder.

2. They can call a timeout until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-inner, if the ref has it then yes, I would grant the timeout.

3> Yes, until the ball is handed to the thrower.

JRutledge Sun Feb 05, 2006 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by hooper
1. Ball is taken out of bounds after a foul or violation. Can defensive team call a time-out before ball is given to inbounder?
Yes

Quote:

2. After a made basket when referee asks for ball. Ball is in possession of ref, can defense call time-out? (I know the ref does not need to touch the ball after a made basket, but this one happens a lot.)
I do not know what you mean by "referee asks for the ball." If no one has the ball after a made basket anyone can call a timeout.

Quote:

3. Ball is taken out of bounds after being knocked out. Can defensive team call time-out?
If the ball is not at the disposal of the thrower, anyone can call a timeout. Once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower, only the team with the ball can call a timeout.

Why is this hard to understand? Could you give some background?

Peace

hooper Sun Feb 05, 2006 04:31pm

Not hard to understand at all. It's just that I've had some refs who won't allow time-outs under these circumstances.

One "explanation" was that "Your team has to have possession of the ball to call time-out," which of course is true unless no one has possession, in which case a time-out should be allowed.

Anyone have rule citations for these?

Nevadaref Sun Feb 05, 2006 07:53pm

Quote:

Anyone have rule citations for these?
NFHS
5-8-3 . . . Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:

a. The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.
b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required.

rainmaker Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge

Quote:

I do not know what you mean by "referee asks for the ball." If no one has the ball after a made basket anyone can call a timeout.

hooper -- The way you word this sitch is confusing, since normally the ref doesn't need to handle the ball after a made basket. The shooting team can have their request for a time out granted up until the ball is "at the disposal" of the now in-bounding team. At the disposal means that they could physically get the ball and set up for the throw-in even if they aren't actually doing that. Most refs will grant the time out before the ball is in the hands of the now-in-bounding team, unless it's clear that they are deliberately stalling.