The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

As a softball, baseball and soccer official...........I acknowledge the difficulty of you guys/gals..........

But...........I still pass out TASO applications to every Idiot parent in the stands...........

One cool side effect is that I get to enjoy pretty much every game by myself..............d;-)

Joel
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I could write a book on "idiot parents"! Many of them "get it", but there are always those that just defy explanation! How dull and uneventful is your life when you get out there and yell at a referee about your kid's game like it was life or death? Unbelievable! I still remember the boy who came up to me after a game and apologized for the actions of his Dad. I also remember a JV girl who blew a layup to tie a game and was almost in tears as she heard her Dad yelling at her from the stands. I told her she played a great game and even NBA players miss layups. She said she could never play "well enough" to please her Dad. I wanted to tell "Dad" that he should be proud that he had such a great kid and to quit pushing her to the point where basketball wasn't fun for her anymore. I had reffed her games since she was in 4th grade, so I knew her pretty well and could see that her Dad really pushed her too hard. Not being my kid, I can only offer encouragement to her when I see her, but obviously cannot get involved in how he raises his daughter...makes me mad though!
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
I could write a book on "idiot parents"! Many of them "get it", but there are always those that just defy explanation! How dull and uneventful is your life when you get out there and yell at a referee about your kid's game like it was life or death? Unbelievable! I still remember the boy who came up to me after a game and apologized for the actions of his Dad. I also remember a JV girl who blew a layup to tie a game and was almost in tears as she heard her Dad yelling at her from the stands. I told her she played a great game and even NBA players miss layups. She said she could never play "well enough" to please her Dad. I wanted to tell "Dad" that he should be proud that he had such a great kid and to quit pushing her to the point where basketball wasn't fun for her anymore. I had reffed her games since she was in 4th grade, so I knew her pretty well and could see that her Dad really pushed her too hard. Not being my kid, I can only offer encouragement to her when I see her, but obviously cannot get involved in how he raises his daughter...makes me mad though!
My all-time favorite - uh, you know what I mean - I had a friend who was an allstar soccer player in high school. When she didn't do well enough, she knew because she had to sit in the back of the car - the dog got to sit in the front.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Check out this idiot parent, University of Tennessee Head Basketball Coach Bruce Pearl.

http://www3.knoxnews.com/kns/gvx_vol...0558%2C00.html

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Check out this idiot parent, University of Tennessee Head Basketball Coach Bruce Pearl.
So if a fan says, "You blew three calls in a row", you have them thrown out of the game? Why would you even pay attention to what fans say?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Jim, has it occurred to you that we're only hearing one side of the story?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 5th, 2006 at 11:43 AM]

Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Maybe all the details and truths were not printed in this story.????
Maybe they were and the official over reacted.????

Many of the comments below the story from fans were frustraiting and showed some of the typical reactions we get from fans at our games. They figure the officials don't know the game, can't see the fouls (against their team), call way to many ticky-tack fouls (against their team), and take way to many comments personal.

It's kinda funny that they think we don't know the rules.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

http://www3.knoxnews.com/kns/gvx_vol...0558%2C00.html
Wow, interesting sitch. My two-cents.

We always discuss the "few and far between" credible comments from most in the stands. Basis for us ignoring them.
So if a D1 coach is in attendence and commenting, and gathering his possee to work a ref, one would logically assume he had some rules credibility with the exception of NCAA vrs. NFHS differences.

How'd the referee know who it was? Why make eye contact with the fans? IGNORE!

That said - refeee's discretion. I support him.

BTW - does an ejected fan get their $3.00 admission fee back?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Local Dad

The local high school has the kid of a former NBA player and now an Asst Coach of an NBA team on its squad. When the NBA team is home dad is always there, watching kid,who is a stud, very, very quietly. Some of the NBA players show up from time to time to watch also. Kid is the shining example of sportsmanship as is the father. Then I go ref my JR HIgh city semi-finals and Joe the plumber is screeching at me cause his son's team is losing by 35 and its my fault.

Go Figure.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
So if a D1 coach is in attendence and commenting, and gathering his possee to work a ref, one would logically assume he had some rules credibility with the exception of NCAA vrs. NFHS differences.
You're kidding, right? Just because a person is a D-1 coach, it certainly doesn't mean he knows the rules.

Quote:
Where did you read that the referee said he knew who the fan was?

You're assuming an awful lot.

Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Local Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
The local high school has the kid of a former NBA player and now an Asst Coach of an NBA team on its squad. When the NBA team is home dad is always there, watching kid,who is a stud, very, very quietly. Some of the NBA players show up from time to time to watch also. Kid is the shining example of sportsmanship as is the father. Then I go ref my JR HIgh city semi-finals and Joe the plumber is screeching at me cause his son's team is losing by 35 and its my fault.

Go Figure.
Not surprising to me. We have quite a few retired NBA players living in the area as well, and every time I've seen one attending their kids' gsmes they've been nothing but a class act. I think there are a couple of reasons: 1- They have a very good understanding of the game; 2- They've "been there done that", and have no need to live vicariously through their kids'.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Local Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

Go Figure.
Not surprising to me. We have quite a few retired NBA players living in the area as well, and every time I've seen one attending their kids' gsmes they've been nothing but a class act. I think there are a couple of reasons: 1- They have a very good understanding of the game; 2- They've "been there done that", and have no need to live vicariously through their kids'.
....and 3 - they do not want to do anything to draw attention to themselves, especially negative attention, and they also likely have to follow a code of conduct or face team penalties.

Don't mean to be cynical, but....
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Hearing things from the stands

Does anyone hear very much from the stands during a game? I rarely hear or can distinguish things yelled from the stands. And, unless there was vulgarity, who would care. They paid their $5 bucks, it is there prerogative to yell and cheer and support their team. I was embarrassed when I became a ref and realized how little I knew about the rules (and I had coached for 10 years!). How can we blow our gaskets (except for vulgarity or comments about my momma) when most comments are made out of ignorance. Ignore the ignorance (coaches included, although, a little side bar to answer coach's questions can go a long way...)
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:38am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
So if a fan says, "You blew three calls in a row", you have them thrown out of the game? Why would you even pay attention to what fans say?

Haha, How often has anyone ever heard a "coach" just say "You blew three calls in a row" without some other descriptive comments. I agree that we are only hearing one side of this story. I hope he learned the lesson of being a role model for the kids.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
You're kidding, right? Just because a person is a D-1 coach, it certainly doesn't mean he knows the rules.

Quote:
Where did you read that the referee said he knew who the fan was?

You're assuming an awful lot.

My "assumption" is based on these words from the artical.

Because he is Bruce Pearl, this guy (Mynatt) eyeballed him and targeted him