The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

"Mistaken" Technical

I had a middle school game last night, small gym. I'm on the trail almost at half court in front of the home bench. Out of the corner of my eye I see the assistant coach stand up and hear him yell very loudly, "Can't you call a walk!" I turned and whacked him with a "T". He immediately says that he didn't say anything, although he did stand up. Turns out it was a parent sitting directly behind him that had yelled. I let the "T" stand (fortunately it was not a close game). He kept a good attitude and we talked about it afterwards. I apologized for the case of mistaken identity and told him his fan had caused him a "T". Should I have handled it differently?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

1) An Assistant standing is an automatic T
2) His stantment (in error) would deserve a warning or ignore by me

You win on point 1.

Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Unless the assistant commits a "gotta have" T offense, I would think about letting the head coach have the first crack at handling him. I've had good success with quietly telling the head coach, "I can't have your assistant going off at us like that."

In your case, it would have saved you an erroneous T. And if you can get the head coach to deal with his assistant, that's one less person you have to deal with. And if you end up whacking him, there's not a lot the head coach can say about it. You gave him a chance to do it himself.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

My booking agent said I should have taken back the "T" once I realized my error. What would you have done?
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MajorCord
My booking agent said I should have taken back the "T" once I realized my error. What would you have done?
I think there should not be a problem to correct your mistake by the first dead ball after the clock had started.

Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
MajorCord,
Welcome to the forum.

Having already made the call, I wouldn't have taken back the "T".
Assistant coach earned it.
There was no reason to apolgize for the mistaken identity unless it was the fan who was "standing up".
Nice apology, though.
mick
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
I think there should not be a problem to correct your mistake by the first dead ball after the clock had started.

This isn't a Correctable Error, so the time frame you mentioned isn't relevant.

Either rescind the T immediately (it becomes an inadvertant whistle), or let it stand.

Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Seeing something out of the corner of your eye is not seeing the play or good game management.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

This isn't a Correctable Error, so the time frame you mentioned isn't relevant.

Either rescind the T immediately (it becomes an inadvertant whistle), or let it stand.

It was not an accidental whistle.

By your definition... let it stand.

Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 06:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
1) An Assistant standing is an automatic T
Not true. Say an AC wants to stand to fix his pants. You gunna T that. Say he wants to take a group of players to the other end of the bench to talk, and needs to walk there. You gunna call that? Say he needs to leave the gym to use the restroom. You gunna T that?

Quote:
I apologized for the case of mistaken identity and told him his fan had caused him a "T". Should I have handled it differently?
I would have rescinded the T. Keeping it is being over-officious.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Seeing something out of the corner of your eye is not seeing the play or good game management.
I knew for sure it was him that stood up. I thought it was him that shouted, but as it turns out, it was a parent sitting directly behind him. The voices sounded just alike. By the way, in the interest of game management, I did go to my partner (veteran official - this is my third year)and asked him if he heard the assistant say anything. He was inconclusive, but he told me the call was a good one and to let it stand. Next time, I will "see and hear" directly.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why was it not an accidental whistle?

I don't have the FED books with me, but:

NCAA 4-37 Inadvertant Whistle -- An inadvertant whistle occurs anytime an official blows the whistle as an oversight and does not have a call to make.

Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you T'd him for the "comment" he didn't make and then considered him standing after you realized he didn't make the comment. If you T'd him for standing up, then stick with it but consider letting the coach have the first shot. If you T'd him for the supposed comment, then swallow the whistle, recind the call and learn from it.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
I don't know if this is a mitigating circumstance, but I wonder if the assistant stood up right around the time the travel violation wasn't called (correctly I assume) and the "parent/fan" took the cue and howled out his comment from the stands. Assuming this is an isolated incident and by keeping the call as it was, maybe both the coach and the fan learned something the hard way, correct call or no correct call. In the less attended games around here, the area behind the coaches bench is cleared at least several rows up, probably for good measure.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Why was it not an accidental whistle?

I don't have the FED books with me, but:

NCAA 4-37 Inadvertant Whistle -- An inadvertant whistle occurs anytime an official blows the whistle as an oversight and does not have a call to make.

Was the original game situation referring to NCAA rules?

If so, you may be correct.

IMO per NFHS Rule 2-10 or with Case 7.5.4, the whistle was blown with intent on calling a technical and not by accident.

I would either rescind the call in error within my allowable time-frame or let it stand and live with my mistake.