The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the freethrow not attempted and how to handle the play that occurrs issue.
A1 has two free-throws coming, after the first B1 takes ball out of the net and throws outlet to a teammate. Other players do not participate at first then think they missed something and start participating. Official blows whistle and brings the miscreants back. What do you do with the second free throw. (Official knows the whole time what is going on.) However the clock operator doesn't and started the clock.

The rule seems to indicate the official has to clear the line and resume at poi even there was no official error.

I don't like what I am understanding and hope I am wrong.
"The ball remains in play", how long is that. A team might shoot a half courtshot and take just three seconds. In two or one a team can get the rebound. What and how long is remains in play.

Doesn't the rule give the power in this situation to the clock operator?

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 05:37 PM]
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Back to the freethrow not attempted and how to handle the play that occurrs issue.
A1 has two free-throws coming, after the first B1 takes ball out of the net and throws outlet to a teammate. Other players do not participate at first then think they missed something and start participating. Official blows whistle and brings the miscreants back. What do you do with the second free throw. (Official knows the whole time what is going on.) However the clock operator doesn't and started the clock.

The rule seems to indicate the official has to clear the line and resume at poi even there was no official error.

I don't like what I am understanding and hope I am wrong.
"The ball remains in play", how long is that. A team might shoot a half courtshot and take just three seconds. In two or one a team can get the rebound. What and how long is remains in play.

Doesn't the rule give the power in this situation to the clock operator?

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 05:37 PM]
It's the official's judgment -- since you indicated "official knows the whole time what is going on", brign the players back and reset the time -- the oficials will (should) have definite knowledge of the time.

Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the rule gives much leeway here. This is a correctable error for not awarding a merited free throw. By rule, you would clear the lane, shoot the second free throw, and continue at the POI with B's ball. I'm not sure what I would do in reality because I would probably get together with my partners and we would come to a crew agreement.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Don't make it more complicated than it was. If the official knew there was to be a 2nd FT attempt and blew his whistle to stop the erroneous action on the floor, there was no POI because the ball never legally became live, no matter what the timer does. Put the time back on the clock (assuming you have knowledge of what was there before the snafu), then line them back up and shoot the 2nd FT.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Don't make it more complicated than it was. If the official knew there was to be a 2nd FT attempt and blew his whistle to stop the erroneous action on the floor, there was no POI because the ball never legally became live, no matter what the timer does. Put the time back on the clock (assuming you have knowledge of what was there before the snafu), then line them back up and shoot the 2nd FT.
Tim,

I agreed but I would also add that the officials need to blow the whistle a little quicker on this. It just seems to me from the OP that if the lead knew there were two shots he should have prevented Team B from getting the ball back in play. It couldn't have happened so fast that there was not time to blow the whistle. I was not there, but it seems that the referees may have been a little confused as well.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
I agree, this is a no-brainer.