The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
a player checked in the game and her number was wrong in the book. the scorer did not notify us until a timeout in which about one minute ran off the clock. what could be done in this situation?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Assess a T. See Case Play 3.2.2 Situation A. After the first T, that team now gets freebies for wrong numbers for the rest of the game.

Z
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

dont be so quick on the T

make sure you check both home and away books and if one is wrong and the other is right then it could just be that that scorer noted the number wrong -- fix the number and move on -- however if they are both wrong then its an automatic T. Dont penalize a team because of the scorer or table mistake.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

deecee - The "away book" (as you put it), doesn't have anything to do with this situation. If the number is listed incorrectly in the official scorers' book, then you have problem. Each team is required to make sure the numbers and starters are listed correctly prior to the game. The ole' "but they copied it wrong" excuse doesn't cut it. "Coach it is your responsibility to have you team listed correctly in the score book". Assess and move on....
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
deecee - The "away book" (as you put it), doesn't have anything to do with this situation. If the number is listed incorrectly in the official scorers' book, then you have problem. Each team is required to make sure the numbers and starters are listed correctly prior to the game. The ole' "but they copied it wrong" excuse doesn't cut it. "Coach it is your responsibility to have you team listed correctly in the score book". Assess and move on....
Respectfully, I disagree. Clerical errors should be rectified without penalty. If the official book has a number incorrectly copied from a team's book or lineup sheet that has the correct number listed, you should not penalize.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

that is being

overly judicious -- why penalize a team for a table mistake -- but if you want to call that Tech get ready for tech #2 and an ejection. bad call imo.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
Each team is required to make sure the numbers and starters are listed correctly prior to the game.
Reference, please. Al I can find is that the team shall SUPPLY the official scorer with the names and numbers -- see 10-1-1 and 3-2-1
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
As a scorer

I have had this siutation come up from both ends.

I have learned to just let me copy our team into your book and yours into mine. Then we don't have to worry about "I copied it wrong" and making one team look like jerks because their scorer copied it wrong and now they are benefiting from that.

At a home game, the manager copied it wrong into our book. I simply said whast his number and changed it - to me its Busch league to penalize a team because of a managers mistake. Of course I made the mistake once on the road (actually it was wrong for the previous game when our coach copied it in, and then I just copied it from the previous game). Of course the people blew the horn and got us a T - but they waited until about 2 minutes to go.

We got them back next year, when they messed up, and I knew it before the game, I didn't say anything until after the tip.

My point is officials don't always know when its wrong, because alot of the time scorers understand each others mistakes, its kind of a fraternity, and we just work together to keep the problem in the books and not on the court.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

as an official i would never call this

T -- if a player wasnt in the book thats different or if both books have the wrong number-- if the mistake just seems like a mistake no need to penalize, just change the number and move on sometimes we need to use our judgement and imo this t for a managers mistake is one of the worst T's you can call.

might as well T up game management every time a fan gets loud and unruly.