The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Another post and a game last night got me to thinking, and since I have no books, I need to ask here. I know it is a violation if you jump in the air, then release the ball and start to dribble, because you must start your dribble before you pick up your pivot foot. But is this legal in a case where you do not have a pivot foot? You only have a pivot foot in very specific circumstances that are very specifically laid out in the rules. If you have both feet on the ground and receive a pass, you have no pivot foot. You don't have a pivot foot until you pick up one of your feet. If you jump then, you are picking up both feet at the same time, so do you ever have a pivot foot? Can you jump and then start your dribble? Or is there a specific part of the rule that addresses this? Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLC
Another post and a game last night got me to thinking, and since I have no books, I need to ask here. I know it is a violation if you jump in the air, then release the ball and start to dribble, because you must start your dribble before you pick up your pivot foot. But is this legal in a case where you do not have a pivot foot? You only have a pivot foot in very specific circumstances that are very specifically laid out in the rules. If you have both feet on the ground and receive a pass, you have no pivot foot. You don't have a pivot foot until you pick up one of your feet. If you jump then, you are picking up both feet at the same time, so do you ever have a pivot foot? Can you jump and then start your dribble? Or is there a specific part of the rule that addresses this? Thanks.
There's a specific case where this play is discussed -- it's a violation.

If either foot can be the pivot foot, then either foot needs to stay on the ground until the ball is released on the dribble.