The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Girls Middle School Game:

A1 shoots an air ball that goes out-of-bounds. End line throw-in for B. I'm trail at this point and head down court as new lead while partner handles the throw-in.

The trouble begins when all five B players also head down court, and partner gives ball to team A for throw-in. Rather than shooting at their own basket, team A is confused and brings the ball down across the division line with the intention of trying for a basket at the wrong end of the court.

Everyone is operating in a state of confusion (including my partner and I unfortunately), crowd is going nuts, and a held ball finally occurs.

In short, we (I'll assume some of the blame here for being inattentive) screwed up. Obviously, team A should not have been given the ball for a throw-in. And when they subsequently brought the ball across the division line, an over-and-back violation occurred. There was no intent to deceive on the part of Team A; just mistakes all around.

At the point of the held ball, we decided to award the ball to Team B as though none of the above had happened. No over-and-back; no held ball.

Other than not allowing this whole situation to occur in the first place, should this have been handled differently?

Sven
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Girls Middle School Game:

A1 shoots an air ball that goes out-of-bounds. End line throw-in for B. I'm trail at this point and head down court as new lead while partner handles the throw-in.

The trouble begins when all five B players also head down court, and partner gives ball to team A for throw-in. Rather than shooting at their own basket, team A is confused and brings the ball down across the division line with the intention of trying for a basket at the wrong end of the court.

Everyone is operating in a state of confusion (including my partner and I unfortunately), crowd is going nuts, and a held ball finally occurs.

In short, we (I'll assume some of the blame here for being inattentive) screwed up. Obviously, team A should not have been given the ball for a throw-in. And when they subsequently brought the ball across the division line, an over-and-back violation occurred. There was no intent to deceive on the part of Team A; just mistakes all around.

At the point of the held ball, we decided to award the ball to Team B as though none of the above had happened. No over-and-back; no held ball.

Other than not allowing this whole situation to occur in the first place, should this have been handled differently?

Sven
Assuming you're operating under Fed rules, there is no way that I know of to correct having given the ball to the wrong team for the completed throw-in or for failing to have called the backcourt violation. You are stuck with going on the possession arrow. At least something brought an end to the madness!

Giving the ball to Team B isn't the worst idea I have ever heard of, under the circumstances, in a middle school game.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Once the throw-in is complete, it's an official's mistake that can't be corrected. Held ball, go to the arrow.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

There's nothing in the book to cover that particular situation! lol
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 11:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by CaliOne
There's nothing in the book to cover that particular situation! lol
Yes there is. There is lots to cover the situation. The result is as BBR and the maker have said.