View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Girls Middle School Game:

A1 shoots an air ball that goes out-of-bounds. End line throw-in for B. I'm trail at this point and head down court as new lead while partner handles the throw-in.

The trouble begins when all five B players also head down court, and partner gives ball to team A for throw-in. Rather than shooting at their own basket, team A is confused and brings the ball down across the division line with the intention of trying for a basket at the wrong end of the court.

Everyone is operating in a state of confusion (including my partner and I unfortunately), crowd is going nuts, and a held ball finally occurs.

In short, we (I'll assume some of the blame here for being inattentive) screwed up. Obviously, team A should not have been given the ball for a throw-in. And when they subsequently brought the ball across the division line, an over-and-back violation occurred. There was no intent to deceive on the part of Team A; just mistakes all around.

At the point of the held ball, we decided to award the ball to Team B as though none of the above had happened. No over-and-back; no held ball.

Other than not allowing this whole situation to occur in the first place, should this have been handled differently?

Sven