The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke vs. BC (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24682-duke-vs-bc.html)

IREFU2 Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:08am

Did anyone see that no call at the end of the game when the BC player went in for a layup? Sherman Williams clearly knocked him down. Is that a case of letting the player decided the outcome of the game or officials not wanting overtime? I would have surely made that call.

tomegun Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:27am

Duke was playing in this game right? No comment. ;)

IREFU2 Thu Feb 02, 2006 08:32am

Smile

I figured that was the case.

ChuckElias Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:04am

Watching live from the midcourt camera, I too was sure it was a foul. But when they showed the replay from the endline camera, it sure looked to me like the defender swiped and missed. There was body contact down low, but I don't know who initiated it.

JRutledge Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:40am

I did not see this play. I have no idea if the call was right or wrong. I will tell you that just recently the NCAA put out a bulletin where they showed many plays like this where contact took place and the shooter hits the floor. There were about 3 examples in the bulletin where they showed situations where the defenders were called for fouls and they were considered incorrect. So just because the shooter hit the floor is not the issue. I think as officials we are too quick to call things on the airborne defender and this might have been the case where the defender did everything right and nothing was properly called.

I also do not think it is fair to accuse the officials of being "Duke Lovers" because this call was not made. I have seen many possible calls at very critical times where officials could have called something to favor Duke and no call was made. Just look at some of the post season games the last few years and that should tell you a lot.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:52am

Great Responce!

Thanks for your comments Rut,

I dont think anyone is accusing officials of be on way or the other, but it is obvious that the no call we an easy out so none of the officials would have to explain it to the Duke coach. From looking at the play from above, the BC player was clearly knocked down. That play would have easily put the game in overtime and a possible Duke loss. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in the post game for the officials.

Nate1224hoops Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Did anyone see that no call at the end of the game when the BC player went in for a layup? Sherman Williams clearly knocked him down. Is that a case of letting the player decided the outcome of the game or officials not wanting overtime? I would have surely made that call.
Sheldon Williams is a great shot blocker. Officials seem to look over the body contact that he creats in attempting to block a shot. I saw the play live and on IR. It was an obvious foul. Why wasn't it called...I dunno. It was a 3 point Duke lead so it not as if the call would have beaten Duke. That was a call that isnt called a foul a lot on Williams. IMO you have to blow that one.

Nate1224hoops Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:57am

Re: Great Responce!

Quote:

I dont think anyone is accusing officials of be on way or the other, but it is obvious that the no call we an easy out so none of the officials would have to explain it to the Duke coach. From looking at the play from above, the BC player was clearly knocked down. That play would have easily put the game in overtime and a possible Duke loss. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in the post game for the officials.

It is a call that has to be made. It was a 3 point lead, not 2. He missed the attempt so, even if they call the foul BC has to make 2 free throws and are still down one and have to foul. Would it have gone to OT, maybe maybe not. IMO Duke prob. goes to the other end and hit 2 free throws to push it back to a 3 point lead. Anyway you slice it that call would not have hurt Duke. It has to be made.

Red_Killian Thu Feb 02, 2006 09:59am

I agree with Chuck. The live view looked like a foul on Williams for sure but the replay caused some doubt. The defender was in the air but looked pretty much vertical with his body. The swipe at the ball was hard to tell if there was contact. Of course Dickie V was going nuts asking how that could not be a foul, primarily because the offensive player went to the floor.

JRutledge Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03am

Re: Great Responce!

Quote:

Sherman Williams is a big guy. Just about anyone running into him is going to is going to get knocked down. I am just saying that it is possible there was no foul (I DID NOT SEE THE PLAY) and the officials got it right. I also think Chuck makes a great point as well that the original view was not a very good indicator of a foul or not. We must keep in mind that the officials were right there and had a better angle and we should give them the benefit of the doubt until we have further information to suggest otherwise.

Peace

tomegun Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:22am

I was just playing with my comments. I couldn't tell for sure from the replay, even though it looked like a foul.

By the way, I don't think Sherman Williams is all that big. Maybe TV does add size because he isn't all that big.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:37am

Quote:

Now, I'm no Duke fan, I think eveyrone will agree. But that was not a foul.

Willimas jumped straight up, within his vertical plane. The shooter drove and jumped into him. Even when he attempted to block the shot with his right arm, he did not make contact.

There was no foul on the play. You guys that think this was a foul need to brush up on your rules of verticality.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 2nd, 2006 at 02:27 PM]

Snake~eyes Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56am

At first I wasn't sure, after replay I think it was a foul.

Tony is right about verticality but it looked to me like Williams was jumping forward (just slightly) and that's why it should have been a foul. Although I wish I had another look at it as I'm still not sure. Eitherway, what was Williams thinking, he should have just let him score two imo.

aces88 Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35pm

Push Off with Left Arm?

What about Williams' left arm? To me, the block was clean and the body contact didn't seem excessive. Williams appeared to push the shooter with his left hand. Any thoughts on this?

IREFU2 Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:39pm

Re: Push Off with Left Arm?

Quote:

Originally posted by aces88
What about Williams' left arm? To me, the block was clean and the body contact didn't seem excessive. Williams appeared to push the shooter with his left hand. Any thoughts on this?
I agree!