The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Suggested FED rule changes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24664-suggested-fed-rule-changes.html)

ChuckElias Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:27am

We've had a couple of threads discussing changes that some of us would like to see. I mentioned in another thread that a member of the NFHS rules committee asked me (among many others) for input on suggestions for next year's rules changes. Here is the letter he sent to the FED home office. I've removed his name and the name of the recipient. Don't know if anybody is interested or not, just thought I'd throw it up here.

Quote:

Below are some "suggestions" for the survey from people in the area...they are not "rank-ordered" but rather just randomly listed...thanks...

1) Only allowing time-outs during a "live ball" to be called by a player...i.e. eliminates the coach's ability to call a time out, unless the ball is dead
2) In technical foul situation to return to "point of interruption" instead of awarding the ball to the offended team
3) Calling official in a 2-person crew goes "table side" after calling the foul
4) Eliminate "lag time" and in games with 1/10 of a second clocks, if there is a timing mistake and the referee has "definite knowledge" of the correct time, to put that exact time back on the clock.
5)Clarify rules 3-4-9 and 3-4-10 to state that "no form of decoration be placed within 2 inches of the jersey's number."
6) Clarification (possibly case book) on whether or not a player making an "end line" throw in after a made or awarded goal should be able to maintain that privilege if a "double foul" is committed near the endline...currently, the ability to maintain that privilege is granted only if a violation or a "common" foul occurs and thus the "double foul" would supercede that ruling.
7) Stop the game clock in the last minute of the game and any overtimes after a made basket, restart on touch inbounds.
8) Have all violations by the defense, committed while the ball is in flight, be ignored if the basket is good...similar to a defensive violation by the defense during a foul shot, and penalized if the shot is missed.
9) Change the penalty for failing to "immediately" return to the court by an offensive player during a throw-in from a technical foul to a violation.
10) Change the "mechanic" for lane line responsibilities to watching the lane line "closest" to you...i.e. not looking across the lane

I have submitted all requests that have been presented to me...I did not eliminate any because I personally might not support it...Please let me know if you have any questions about any of the above...I wasn't sure how much detail you needed at this point in time...thanks...

Snake~eyes Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:40am

Is it too late to get in another change, I would like to see no long switch in two-person that way it is consistent with 3-person. Long switch also slows down the game. I do like the calling official going table side also.

cmathews Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:42am

good list

Chuck,
thanks for the info, I agree with most of them..the only two I wouldn't support are 1 and 7...with 7 being the one I would really be against....we have enough timing issues at the Fed level...I don't know that adding any more responsibilities would help LOL

ChuckElias Wed Feb 01, 2006 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Is it too late to get in another change?
Yes. In order to be included in the questionnaire, the suggestions had to be in by today, Feb 1.

David M Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:33am

I must be a little slow today but I can't think of many violations I would call on the defense while a shot is in flight. Any examples?

ChuckElias Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:46am

Quote:

Originally posted by David M
I must be a little slow today but I can't think of many violations I would call on the defense while a shot is in flight. Any examples?
Swinging elbows. Also, when the violation for running OOB was introduced this year, one of the case plays said that if the defense commits the violaton while a try is in the air, you count the basket and award the ball back to the offensive team. This rule change would eliminate that possibility and treat it more like a defensive FT violation.

David M Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:54am

Thanks, Chuck.

I would agree with the defensive player going OOB being ignored but not with swinging the elbows. What happens next time down when an elbow breaks someones jaw. Something like this might be prevented if the violation is called the first time.

FrankHtown Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55am

We have been going table-side in 2-person this year. It may be a state experiment (Texas). In reality, the "improving communication" theory, is just that. In 3 person, the calling official goes table side, and has a few seconds to respond to a coach's question during the first free throw. In two person, about all you get to do is report the foul, nod at the coach and get in position, because as new Trail, you have the silent 10 second count, the free throw shooter, the opposite lane, the flight of the ball, not to mention chopping the clock in on a miss.

SmokeEater Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:10am

You nailed it Frank. As trail there is already enough to do, having to contend with a coach in your ear as well is not what I would want added.

Jimgolf Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:49am

Is there any support for changing the boys rule for entering the lane on a FT from "on contact with the rim" to "on the release"?

Kajun Ref N Texas Wed Feb 01, 2006 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
We have been going table-side in 2-person this year. It may be a state experiment (Texas). In reality, the "improving communication" theory, is just that. In 3 person, the calling official goes table side, and has a few seconds to respond to a coach's question during the first free throw. In two person, about all you get to do is report the foul, nod at the coach and get in position, because as new Trail, you have the silent 10 second count, the free throw shooter, the opposite lane, the flight of the ball, not to mention chopping the clock in on a miss.
I, too, am in Texas, and personally like going tableside.

Not much time to communicate when shooting 1 or 1-1, but when shooting 2, there is. I agree it's a lot to handle but I think overall it is better.

Bama_Ref_N_Ump Wed Feb 01, 2006 02:23pm

Uggggg.. I see I'm posting this too late to get included in the letter...

However, one rule I think should be changed is the double bonus on 10 team fouls in the <b>FIRST</b> half. The purpose for this rule when it was put in place was to discourage a team who is trailing to stop fouling to stop the clock.

#1 - This rule <b>HAS NOT</b> worked as desired. Coaches still have their players foul irregardless of how many team fouls have been committed.

#2 - (and actually more in-line with the reason stated in original rule change proposal) .. Has <b>ANYONE</b> ever seen a team start fouling in the first half to stop the clock and put the other team on the free throw line hoping to get the ball back? I know I haven't.

blindzebra Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:09pm

Add team control to throw-ins and just add the word inbounds to all the count situations would be another one for the list.

More clarification of closely guarded is needed as well:

1. How is 6 feet measured?

2. Does the count drop during a screen?

3. Is path required after the initial LGP is established?

Re-think the leaving the floor violation on the defense. It should either be ignored...without an advantage...or a T...if an advantage is gained, or it is an attempt to stop the other team's advantage.

assignmentmaker Wed Feb 01, 2006 03:29pm

Under the basket

In my experience, the single element that most confounds consistency among partners in high school officiating is that some officials imagine an NBA-style area around, and, in particular, directly under the basket in which a defender may not establish legal guarding position and thus take a charge.

At least in the NBA it's crisp. Heels on the dots, it's a block.

Here's how I personally handle this:

If the defender is <b>directly</b> under the basket AND the offensive player does not show absolutely wanton disregard for the life and limb of the defender AND the offensive player is basically coming DOWN the lane, then it's a no call. The shot will have already been taken, so no effect on the shot. It's incidental contact.

If, however, the dribbler is coming from the side, from any angle at which it's reasonable to think he/she might just go on through to the other side, well, then there's no way for the defender to know which - shot or go through - is going to happen, so setting up under the basket, even behind the plane of the backboard, is perfectly reasonable. If it's a block or a charge, it's a block or a charge.

Is there language somewhere in the rules that addresses this? If there is, I've lost track and would appreciate the info.

ChuckElias Wed Feb 01, 2006 04:01pm

Re: Under the basket

Quote:

Originally posted by assignmentmaker
At least in the NBA it's crisp. Heels on the dots, it's a block.
It's not nearly that simplistic.

Quote:

Is there language somewhere in the rules that addresses this? If there is, I've lost track and would appreciate the info.
Yes, 10.6.1 Situation D (last year's book).