The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have 2 suggestions for rule changes that would help the high school basketball game. I would appreciate your comments and opinions on these ideas:
Rule 1. Substitutes
Only allow each team one opportunity on a dead ball, clock not running, to make substitutions. Coach can sub one player or five, but after the "one time" substitution is made, there can be no others until the clock has started and then stopped again.
Purpose of rule change: Flow of the game, speed game up, less chance for confusion and technical fouls for more than 5 on the floor at any one time.
More and more I see high school coaches sub for one player. As this player enters the game and throws his towel to the player he is replacing, as this player is slowly leaving the court, 2 more of same team players are at the table and horn sounds, they are beckoned in and before there team mates leave the court there is the fourth player waiting to come in. This will happen 8 or 10 times during the course of one game. Two players enter before the second free throw is made, ball is given to shooter and 2 more appear at the table waiting on the attempt to be made so they can enter game. Ref blows whistle, other ref has to take ball away from in bounding team, hold it...wait for 2 players to leave court, then tell team he/she can run base line and start the play all over again. These actions slow the flow of a game and add at least 15 mins to the length of each game.
Would this be a good rule change or not? Why or why not?
Second rule change suggestion will be posted tomorrow!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaCoach
I have 2 suggestions for rule changes that would help the high school basketball game. I would appreciate your comments and opinions on these ideas:
Rule 1. Substitutes

I vote yes!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Very similar to the current substitution rule for Volleyball - I like it, as it makes it very simple.

That said, once you're ready to administer the ball there's no reason to delay further to allow additional substitutions, and you never take the ball back from the FT shooter or inbounding player to do so (unless maybe the table was late notifying you of a player disqualification). Our SRI says it's preferred to make them wait until the next dead ball rather than letting them trickle in.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

however

you make your sub and team B now subs 2 players -- 1 to counter your sub and their star who you happen to match up with your star whos on the bench -- now you want to get your star in the game because team B's star will kill you -- but you cant because you made your sub -- now you either have to foul to get your player in, or use a timeout.

as long as i have officiated i have only had a problem once with substitutions, a coach would sub one -- then another then at the last minute yell "SUB" -- couple times of that happening the easy way to stop it is let the first few kids in then make the rest wait at the table. Coaches dont need more than 5-10 seconds to decide on subs. if they do then they need a timeout more than they need a sub.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: however

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
you make your sub and team B now subs 2 players -- 1 to counter your sub and their star who you happen to match up with your star whos on the bench -- now you want to get your star in the game because team B's star will kill you -- but you cant because you made your sub -- now you either have to foul to get your player in, or use a timeout.

as long as i have officiated i have only had a problem once with substitutions, a coach would sub one -- then another then at the last minute yell "SUB" -- couple times of that happening the easy way to stop it is let the first few kids in then make the rest wait at the table. Coaches dont need more than 5-10 seconds to decide on subs. if they do then they need a timeout more than they need a sub.
You mean the game is not about the officials
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Or how about, the sub must be at the table waiting when the ball becomes dead and the clock stops.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Snake Eyes...your not watching the same games that I am seeing....The first sub may be at table when the clock stops and the horn announces a sub, but from that point until the next 8 players have entered and left the court, no one goes to the table or stops at the "X".
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Snake Eyes...your not watching the same games that I am seeing....The first sub may be at table when the clock stops and the horn announces a sub, but from that point until the next 8 players have entered and left the court, no one goes to the table or stops at the "X".
It sounds like you have officials that are not making subs be at the table before a substitution. There are already rules in place to prevent what you just suggest.

I would not agree with such a rule. No other level has such a rule and I would hate to limit a coach from making a substitution because of a narrow window. Not all teams have a lot of players in the first place and if a player is getting goofy by fouling, I would rather have the coach be able to sub that player ASAP. Just my take on what you suggested.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 10:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Rule 1. Substitutes
Only allow each team one opportunity on a dead ball, clock not running, to make substitutions. Coach can sub one player or five, but after the "one time" substitution is made, there can be no others until the clock has started and then stopped again.

VACoach,

Sitch
: Your team has just clinched *The Big One*. Your seniors have just played their last game and each has scored a personal best.

You want to substitute for them seperately to give them their special recognition.

You won't be able to do that.
mick
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Or how about, the sub must be at the table waiting when the ball becomes dead and the clock stops.
This is what I think the rule should be. The NFHS may also be willing to accept it as they already have it in place for NFHS soccer.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
This is what I think the rule should be. The NFHS may also be willing to accept it as they already have it in place for NFHS soccer.
I thought that this was the rule in high school?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

The head of officials in our state watched my crew one night earlier this season. On of his comments was to get the ball in play to avoid the revolving door of subs being discussed. In keeping with what he wants us to do, if we let one sub in, they get on the floor and the coach gets another up, we'll hold them at the table and start play. Coaches get the idea in a hurry and get their subs up and ready to play.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

maybe adopt the pro rule...no subs after the successful 2nd free throw of 2 (or 3rd of 3)...
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
maybe adopt the pro rule...no subs after the successful 2nd free throw of 2 (or 3rd of 3)...
Ehh I think that's a minor thing and won't really help. The problem is when you have a sub at the table, you're getting ready to start and another sub comes to the table. And another and another...
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I think as officials we can get away from the revolving door of subs if we just make them wait. My crew has had pretty good success with this since talking to our director of officials. Let the players that are ready to go when you are in, make the rest stay.