Thread: Rule Changes!
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have 2 suggestions for rule changes that would help the high school basketball game. I would appreciate your comments and opinions on these ideas:
Rule 1. Substitutes
Only allow each team one opportunity on a dead ball, clock not running, to make substitutions. Coach can sub one player or five, but after the "one time" substitution is made, there can be no others until the clock has started and then stopped again.
Purpose of rule change: Flow of the game, speed game up, less chance for confusion and technical fouls for more than 5 on the floor at any one time.
More and more I see high school coaches sub for one player. As this player enters the game and throws his towel to the player he is replacing, as this player is slowly leaving the court, 2 more of same team players are at the table and horn sounds, they are beckoned in and before there team mates leave the court there is the fourth player waiting to come in. This will happen 8 or 10 times during the course of one game. Two players enter before the second free throw is made, ball is given to shooter and 2 more appear at the table waiting on the attempt to be made so they can enter game. Ref blows whistle, other ref has to take ball away from in bounding team, hold it...wait for 2 players to leave court, then tell team he/she can run base line and start the play all over again. These actions slow the flow of a game and add at least 15 mins to the length of each game.
Would this be a good rule change or not? Why or why not?
Second rule change suggestion will be posted tomorrow!