The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

During a game last week a point guard from Team A threw a pass to a teammate. The teammate made a cut to the basket and faked out her own player who made the pass anyway. The point guard then went and chased down her own pass and secured it out near midcourt. Does this constitute a violation? The ball bounced several times but was never touched by a defensive player or anyone else prior to the point guard recovering her own pass. I would love some feedback.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling.
RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4)

Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'll also add that the original play may well have been a double dribble violation, since the point guard had likely dribbled before throwing the pass, which became a second dribble.

The original post doesn't provide this information, so I can't really answer.