The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I ususally asks my mentor or partner (scince most questions come up during games) after that I go home and check it, so once a month maybe, sometimes more sometimes less (depends on how much games I get assigned too really, and what levels)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Depends. Obviously I look it over well in the pre-season doing the test. After that, I actaully spend more time with the case book. Sometimes when I have some time to fill in my classroom, I'll give the students (I teach 5th grade) situations from the case book for fun. They enjoy it. Other than that, I use the rules book when something goofy happens in a game I'm working, watching, or hearing about.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nate,

I really am not sure what the point of your post is, but the rulebook is not the Bible to officiating. If it was when most of us attend camps they are not rules clinics. In most basketball games that I work most of the calls or situations are not that complicated or unusual. Most of what I see is basic calls and basic situations. What is said on this board is usually very unusual and something many of us never experience.

Learning the rules is more about experiencing things instead of just reading the rulebook. If you never see certain things it can be difficult to have a full understanding of the rule unless it is clearly listed in the casebook. I also feel that you can read too much into the rulebook and find things to call rather than using common sense or good judgment. That is another discussion for another day.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Depends. Obviously I look it over well in the pre-season doing the test. After that, I actaully spend more time with the case book. Sometimes when I have some time to fill in my classroom, I'll give the students (I teach 5th grade) situations from the case book for fun. They enjoy it. Other than that, I use the rules book when something goofy happens in a game I'm working, watching, or hearing about.
LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point of my post is exactly what you are saying. The last couple of days there have been several issues that have arisen that are just dumb. The 3 sec. thread and the disqualification thread are perfect examples. If you own a rule book then there should be no questions. As far as it being our bible, it along with the case book of course, I really dont see how you can despute this. Every call we make during a game is addressed in this small little book. I am not asking can you quote the entire thing front to back, I am just curious as to how many experienced officials actually refer to it during the course of the season thats all. I'm not trying to say, as you seem to infer, that there is nothing more than that book to officiating. There is much much more. Just seems as though some of the recent posts, mostly new posters don't have or havent read the BOOK.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.
I read the rule book, case book and official's manual every season and highlight anything I want to go back and review later. I refer to it throughout the season to verify things or check something that came up. I agree with you that many veterans tend to not crack the rule books much. I have seen a couple of rule screw-ups locally this year that shouldn't have happened.

Most of our calls are pretty routine. It's those once-a-season things that require study and they are the ones that make for good newspaper articles when they are screwed up. Many officials don't study the rule book enough.

Z
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I basically read the rule book(s) cover to cover about 4-5 times during the course of the season. I peruse it about 200 other times. It's nice to have a group of guys who constantly pepper one another with goofy, made up situations. It makes you not only use the rule book, but use your other basketball knowledge as well.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The point of my post is exactly what you are saying. The last couple of days there have been several issues that have arisen that are just dumb. . . [snip]. . . I am just curious as to how many experienced officials actually refer to it during the course of the season
My guess, Nate, is that the people who posted those "dumb" questions are not "experienced" officials. Although they've passed a test, they haven't had enough time or games under their belts to know those situations cold. Just a thought.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I basically read the rule book(s) cover to cover about 4-5 times during the course of the season. I peruse it about 200 other times. It's nice to have a group of guys who constantly pepper one another with goofy, made up situations. It makes you not only use the rule book, but use your other basketball knowledge as well.
I'll just quit reading mine and call you from now on. Is it the made up situations that are goofy or the people that make them up?
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Nate1224hoops

LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills. [/B]
The kids enjoy it. They can tell when I talk about officiating how much I love it so it gets them interested. Also, this year I have a class that's a little more into athletics than previous years. We talk a lot about sportsmanship and once in a while I have them act out plays. At least 1/7 of the 5th graders in my town will have some understanding of the rules and sportsmanship when they get to middle school and high school.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 04:25pm
Administrator

With apologies to Mel Brooks.

RULE BOOK!! I don't need no stinkin' rule book.

From my numerous posts, it is obvious that I refer to my rule books, casebooks, and officials manuals, quite often each week through out the year (and I mean calendar year); and that means even climbing up into the attic at least a couple times a month.

You use the term Bible. There is a retired civil engineering professor, John N. Cernica, Ph.D, P.E., at Youngstown State University, who has written two engineering textbooks. The one: Strenght of Materials is used quite a bit at other engineering schools. He always refers to this textbook in his classes as the Bible. About fifteen years ago, I was interviewing for a structural engineering position with a firm in Cleveland, Ohio. During the interview process, the head of the department told me that a few years earlier he had a structural engineer who had graduated from YSU and he would sometimes make a reference to the Bible. He told me that he never asked him what he meant because he thought he might be considered rude. But he asked me, if as a YSU graduate, if I knew what this other engineer meant. I just about busted a gut laughing and then told him what it meant.

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Jan 30th, 2006 at 04:33 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 04:51pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Nate1224hoops

LOL..I teach 7th grade and that sounds like an unusual way to sharpen your skills.
The kids enjoy it. They can tell when I talk about officiating how much I love it so it gets them interested. Also, this year I have a class that's a little more into athletics than previous years. We talk a lot about sportsmanship and once in a while I have them act out plays. At least 1/7 of the 5th graders in my town will have some understanding of the rules and sportsmanship when they get to middle school and high school. [/B]
Interesting...I do the same thing with my 7th graders during our "elective" time. Most kids like it...I even let them read the situations to me and they get to "quiz" me...that's when it gets fun for them.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Well, I don't see the Christian Bible as a rulebook, so I don't think your metaphor is apt.

But to answer the question, I usually refer to the rulebook at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, depending on situations that come up in my games, or that someone asks about.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: With apologies to Mel Brooks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
RULE BOOK!! I don't need no stinkin' rule book.

Mark, I am deeply disappointed with your response.

Any film-buff knows this line comes from the brilliant "Treasure of the Seirra Madre" and Mel Brooks was only borrowing it in his equally brilliant "Blazing Saddles". Further, the actual line is

Quote:
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
As penance I suggest 10 lashings with a wet noodle followed 30 minutes quiet meditation and prayer before your shrine to J Dallas Shirley. 100 pushups wouldn't hurt but they are optional.