View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 30, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.
I read the rule book, case book and official's manual every season and highlight anything I want to go back and review later. I refer to it throughout the season to verify things or check something that came up. I agree with you that many veterans tend to not crack the rule books much. I have seen a couple of rule screw-ups locally this year that shouldn't have happened.

Most of our calls are pretty routine. It's those once-a-season things that require study and they are the ones that make for good newspaper articles when they are screwed up. Many officials don't study the rule book enough.

Z