Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.
Well, I don't see the Christian Bible as a rulebook, so I don't think your metaphor is apt.

But to answer the question, I usually refer to the rulebook at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, depending on situations that come up in my games, or that someone asks about.
My metaphor wasn't meant to offend anyone RAIN, but if it has I appologize. No where in my post did I refer to anything about the HOLY BIBLE (it's more than Christian). I simply used the term loosely to refer to the rule book--the guidelines an official needs to live by.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I think giving 5th Graders Rulebook Problems teaches an excellent lesson. When I coach or manage people, I always try to impress on them that the usefulness of knowledge is directly related to its specificity. General knowledge is frequently misinterpreted and mis-used.

For example, I'd wadger that 50% of the Coaches don't understand when a player lifts his pivot before releasing the ball on a dribble why "exactly" the Ref calls it a Travel. They think the player "took an extra step". This ignorance affects how well they can coach/teach.

The same principle applies to knowing Zoning Ordinances, Building Codes, ADA Regulations, Design Standards, etc. if you are in the Construction Industry.

It is a great lesson for young kids to know that there is usually a very specific "Source" for knowledge that is more accurate than hearing a useless generality from a Billy Packer.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Judging by some of the questions that I have seen posted on the board the last couple of days, I would have to say that I don't think some people own a Rule Book, much less ever refer to it.

My question is simple: How often do you refer to your rule book throughout the season??

I read it cover to cover once prior to BB season and have referred to it at least once every week or two throughout the season.
Well, I don't see the Christian Bible as a rulebook, so I don't think your metaphor is apt.

But to answer the question, I usually refer to the rulebook at least once or twice a week, sometimes more, depending on situations that come up in my games, or that someone asks about.
My metaphor wasn't meant to offend anyone RAIN, but if it has I appologize. No where in my post did I refer to anything about the HOLY BIBLE (it's more than Christian). I simply used the term loosely to refer to the rule book--the guidelines an official needs to live by.
No need to apologize. The Holy Bible is the ultimate rule book!
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what classes do you teach to the 7th graders?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what classes do you teach to the 7th graders?
I teach 7th grade Life Science in a small town in So.West VA.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The word "Bible" is derived directly from the Greek word "biblion", which simply means book. Early Christians called their collection of letters and gospels "the book". Only much later was "Bible" used in an exclusive way.

Doesn't seem all that off-base to me.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
The word "Bible" is derived directly from the Greek word "biblion", which simply means book. Early Christians called their collection of letters and gospels "the book". Only much later was "Bible" used in an exclusive way.

Doesn't seem all that off-base to me.
Never knew that. You guys are better than the education system. I learn something new everyday. LOL. Thanks for the info Chuck.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 10:36am
Huck Finn

Can someone direct me to a book that can give my partners a clue? Not all, but some of them!
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
One of those nights, Tom? Sorry.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:43am
Huck Finn

Actually it was easy for me since he was more than willing to call his area and my area too. I feel sorry for the teams whenever he called a foul that kept a team from scoring an easy basket. Oh, well. He was one of those guys that makes like $10,000 doing HS and rec so that is where his head is. It was a two man game so we just got it done. I guess he was trying to just get it right!
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I like the title to this tread, I had a situation a few weeks ago and a coach was saying something crazy to me, I won't claim to be able to say it exactly but somthing along the lines of "on a pick and role, the picker HAS to role to the basket!! If he roles to the wing it is illegal!!! It is IN THE RULE BOOK!!!!"

Anyways a timeout is called very shortly after the play and I go to get that coaches team from their hundle and say to him "coach I am not proud of this statement I am going to make BUT I have read the rule book more time then my Holy Bible and I can tell you with no uncertain terms that what you are talking about is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book."

He responds with "wellI think it used to be?" Too funny the whole thing.

Now back to your original question - I reference my rule book 3 to 4 times a week.