The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Chuck, how'd you find that? Is the search feature working again?!

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Lucky hit on google.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Actually, threeseconds has become a popular name for both boys and girls, and the fans are just yelling their child's name.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa
4,5 & 6 seconds yes, but I haven't called "3 seconds" in years! :P
I call 3 seconds almost every game. In the youth developmental leagues the house rules are 5 seconds in the lane.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm still pondering this one. I believe that 3 seconds is a useful tool, but should be applied judiciously. In camp this last summer I had a 3 seconds call when the kid had been there for 5+ seconds, but didn't blow the whistle until an entry pass was headed his way (i.e., until he had gained an obvious advantage by being there). The clinician chastised the call because the pass was on the way there when I made it. He would prefer to see the call made before the offender gets involved in any action, or not at all.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent!
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I'm still pondering this one. I believe that 3 seconds is a useful tool, but should be applied judiciously. In camp this last summer I had a 3 seconds call when the kid had been there for 5+ seconds, but didn't blow the whistle until an entry pass was headed his way (i.e., until he had gained an obvious advantage by being there). The clinician chastised the call because the pass was on the way there when I made it. He would prefer to see the call made before the offender gets involved in any action, or not at all.

Hmmm...I'm kind of on your side on this one. It makes it obvious that this player has now gained the advantage by being in there too long, because they are ready to accept that pass. I would be interested in hearing that clinician's reasoning behind his statement.

My only pet peeve with the call is the official who is not paying attention to the whole play, and calling 3-seconds while a shot is in the air, and worse yet, having to wave off a made basket after the call. Perhaps that has something to do with his reasoning; make the call before that specific play in the post (what if it's an alley-oop), or before the shot goes up, to avoid those kind of problems.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that advantage/disadvantage is often seriously misapplied in the matter of 3-seconds. It is a major league advantage just being in the lane - the defense has to guard you.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:

I think that advantage/disadvantage is often seriously misapplied in the matter of 3-seconds. It is a major league advantage just being in the lane - the defense has to guard you.
And the defense doesn't have to guard you if you are 6 feet farther East or West?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It should be applied all the time, yet take in to account when a player is making an attempt to leave the lane, dribbles in, or attempts a shot and or you have used previous verbiage to warn the culprit he/she before the 3 second count expired.

The advantage gained by the offense alters the defense to defend differently when the offensive player camps inside the free-throw lanes.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:

And the defense doesn't have to guard you if you are 6 feet farther East or West?
Strategically, overall, if there's a player in the lane - let's say 3 feet from the hoop - the imperative to guard that player is significantly higher than it is if that player is father from the basket. Field goal percentage is pretty much proportional the length of the shot - with some allowance for the fact that modern players don't shoot very well in the entire midrange.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

that's good stuff!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
From the OfficialForum.com archives (originally aired 4/2/02):

If your 3-second count is a little long, don't worry about it. You should count 3-seconds like this:

One.

Man, am I hungry. I could go for a nice slice right now. Or maybe Slider will send me a Krispy Kreme. Mmmmmmm. Doughnuts. Man, that Homer Simpson cracks me up. I wonder what it's really like to work in a nuclear power plant. . .

Two.

Is that cheerleader looking at me? I think she's looking at me!! Nope. Darn, she's looking at the point guard camped in the lane. Camped in the lane? Oh, yeah. . . Where was I?

Two-and-a-half.

"Blue. Clear the lane!"

Yawn. Scratch. Adjust pants.

"Blue! Get outta there!"

WWMTDSD? (What would Mark T. DeNucci, Sr do?)

Doggone it!!

Three!! TWEET!
Now we're talking ... I like that!

thansk
David
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

You mean there is a 3 second violation!

I agree with the Advantage/Disadvantage call. Tell them to get out. Pick your nose. If there is no advantage being made, then why in the world is this a violation.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefRich
You mean there is a 3 second violation!

I agree with the Advantage/Disadvantage call. Tell them to get out. Pick your nose. If there is no advantage being made, then why in the world is this a violation.
Because it is and it can be an advantage for the offense.

Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: that's good stuff!

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
From the OfficialForum.com archives (originally aired 4/2/02):

If your 3-second count is a little long, don't worry about it. You should count 3-seconds like this:

One.

Man, am I hungry. I could go for a nice slice right now. Or maybe Slider will send me a Krispy Kreme. Mmmmmmm. Doughnuts. Man, that Homer Simpson cracks me up. I wonder what it's really like to work in a nuclear power plant. . .

Two.

Is that cheerleader looking at me? I think she's looking at me!! Nope. Darn, she's looking at the point guard camped in the lane. Camped in the lane? Oh, yeah. . . Where was I?

Two-and-a-half.

"Blue. Clear the lane!"

Yawn. Scratch. Adjust pants.

"Blue! Get outta there!"

WWMTDSD? (What would Mark T. DeNucci, Sr do?)

Doggone it!!

Three!! TWEET!
Now we're talking ... I like that!

thansk
David
I called one in the first week of January. First one I've called in at least two seasons. Not that I won't call it, but at the varsity level most players know to keep moving.