The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rule Qestion: Throw-in Provisions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24598-rule-qestion-throw-provisions.html)

Skarecrow Sun Jan 29, 2006 02:21pm

Wise Ones: I cannot understand the following rule. Please help....Rule 9-2-2...."The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bound so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched." The part that is in parentheses is confusing me....to what is that referring? The ball, the floor, or a player? Any clarifying example would be appreciated. Thanks, Skarecrow

zebraman Sun Jan 29, 2006 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Skarecrow
Wise Ones: I cannot understand the following rule. Please help....Rule 9-2-2...."The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bound so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched." The part that is in parentheses is confusing me....to what is that referring? The ball, the floor, or a player? Any clarifying example would be appreciated. Thanks, Skarecrow
It's referring to a another player.

If A1 throws the ball into the court and it hits another player, it is not a throw-in violation, even if that other player is standing out of bounds (it would be an out-of-bounds violation on the player that it hit rather than a throw-in violation). The ensuing throw-in would then be at the spot of the out-of-bounds violation.

If the throw-in went out of bounds without touching another player, you would have a throw-in violation and the throw-in awarded to team B would take place at the same spot where team A had their original throw-in.

Z

Skarecrow Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:18pm

thanks Z, for the reply.....makes it clearer now....

Nevadaref Mon Jan 30, 2006 01:33am

It does refer to the position of a player on the floor. The ball just has to hit another player for it not to be a throw-in violation. It does not matter if the player the ball hits is standing inbounds or OOB. (Of course, the throw-in pass must break the boundary plane, before the ball is touched by a teammate or it is still a throw-in violation per 9-2-3.)

A good example is the play where one team tries to throw the long pass the length of the court. The pass is overthrown and bounces in front of the teammate for which it was intended. The ball bounced on the court in bounds, but its next bounce will certainly be OOB. However, even though the ball has broken the OOB plane on the far end of the court, it is not OOB until it hits something which is OOB. Therefore, if the teammate continues to chase the ball and even steps OOB at the far end of the floor but is able to touch the ball before it hits anything, the OOB violation will be on that player and not on the thrower. What this means is that the opponent will receive the ball for a throw-in at the spot where the ball was last touched, not all the way back down the floor from where the original throw-in was made. That is a big impact.

Skarecrow Mon Jan 30, 2006 07:15am

NevadaRef....thanks for the additional input...I can now see the clarity of the rule...before, it just did not make sense....Skarecrow

JCrow Mon Jan 30, 2006 08:55am

Just for clarification.......SkareCrow and I are not related.

Skarecrow Mon Jan 30, 2006 09:04am

JCrow...at least we gotta be "fowl" friends....