The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ok fellas here I am needing some help and input on what I am calling my first experience as the "R" in a college level game. This Saturday I've been given an opportunity to the be the "R" in a college game. The level of the game is NJCAA and maybe not all that impressive for some. But for me it is important for me to make a great impression and we do the very best. I have been officiating for about two years now and for me it has been a quick and hard working progression. So given this chance is another big step in the mist of many big steps I have taken in my short officiating career. I have set through many pre-games of my games and others, I grew up and constantly stay around b-ball. I know there are many things to cover but I don't want the two experienced guys I am with to feel like I am waisting their time. By covering too many things-I was told that the pre-game should take about 30-45 minutes to cover, write everything down. Any suggestions?

Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Congratulations on being assigned the Referee. You should be proud of that accomplishment. Not everyone is considered to be the Referee. I have only been assigned once to the new assignor that I work for. You should be happy about that.

I think your pre-game should deal more with philosophy rather than "this is where you stand" kind of conversation. Talk about what you know about the teams and what you know about the coaches. Then talk about what you are going to do on things like double whistles and certain type of calls like rebounding fouls. It is OK in my opinion to cover mechanics difference so that everyone is on the same page when most likely the officials you are working with are probably HS officials. Also talk about some rules differences like POI and when it applies and when it does not. I would talk about those things in as much detail as possible (along with things I did not mention). You do not need 30 and 40 minutes unless you have never worked with these officials before.

Just talk basketball that is really what a pre-game is mostly about anyway.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Best of luck. Kind of a related thread might be interesting to you: http://officialforum.com/thread/24354