Thread: First
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Congratulations on being assigned the Referee. You should be proud of that accomplishment. Not everyone is considered to be the Referee. I have only been assigned once to the new assignor that I work for. You should be happy about that.

I think your pre-game should deal more with philosophy rather than "this is where you stand" kind of conversation. Talk about what you know about the teams and what you know about the coaches. Then talk about what you are going to do on things like double whistles and certain type of calls like rebounding fouls. It is OK in my opinion to cover mechanics difference so that everyone is on the same page when most likely the officials you are working with are probably HS officials. Also talk about some rules differences like POI and when it applies and when it does not. I would talk about those things in as much detail as possible (along with things I did not mention). You do not need 30 and 40 minutes unless you have never worked with these officials before.

Just talk basketball that is really what a pre-game is mostly about anyway.

Peace