The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I don't work college ball but I am trying to understand the differences between NCAA and NFHS. Last night in the Duke/Va Tech game, Duke's Point Guard, Paulus, drove to the hoop, got fouled and then the Va Tech defender who fouled him, pushed Paulus and was assessed a T. The way it was administered was as follows: Paulus shot two shots (presumably the two he earned for being fouled), and then Redick shot two shots (presumably the technical free throws). I thought that NCAA technicals are assessed at the Point of Interruption, so my thought was that the Technical free throws would have come before the free throws for the shots. Just want to clear up my confusion. Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

The technical foul for illegal contact on the VT player is a intentional technical foul that results in two FTS and the ball for Duke. That's why the FTs for the personal foul were shot first, because Duke got the ball after all the FTs were over.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 27th, 2006 at 10:06 AM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The technical foul for illegal contact on the VT player is a direct technical foul that results in two FTS and the ball for Duke. That's why the FTs for the personal foul were shot first, because Duke got the ball after all the FTs were over.
When Tony says "Direct", I think he means "Intentional"
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Based on my Sportcenter view of the play, that appeared to be:

Rule 10 Section 13 Art. 3. A flagrant contact technical foul is severely or excessively contacting
an opponent when the ball is dead.

which would be penalized as follows:
Rule 10 Section 14 Art. 1. The penalty for a flagrant technical foul shall be two free throws
awarded to a player of the offended team and possession of the ball to
the offended team at a designated spot at the division line.
Art. 2. The offender(s) shall be ejected.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 09:19am
MABO Member

My understanding in NCAA was that the ball would get awarded to the offended team if a flagrant technical foul or Intentional Technical foul was called.

too slow...LOL

[Edited by SmokeEater on Jan 27th, 2006 at 09:21 AM]

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Largent
Last night in the Duke/Va Tech game, Duke's Point Guard, Paulus, drove to the hoop, got fouled and then the Va Tech defender who fouled him, pushed Paulus and was assessed a T.
Uhm thats NOT what happened.

VATech guard Washington drove to the hoop and was fouled (block) by Melchionni of Duke. As the two players were tangled up under the basket, Washington KICKED Melchionni in the face! It was ruled (correctly) a flagrant contact technical foul and he was ejected. Some poor schmuck who has attempted all of 8 free throws all year for VA shot the two shots for Washington and then Reddick shot two for the T. The T was administered correctly as this was a dead ball situation.

The officials released a statement afterward saying, through replay, they determined the kick was a "combative action" and the matter will be reviewed by the league office. Greenberg said he's not ready to say if he'll take additional action.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

ummmmm yeah it was

Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
Quote:
Originally posted by Largent
Last night in the Duke/Va Tech game, Duke's Point Guard, Paulus, drove to the hoop, got fouled and then the Va Tech defender who fouled him, pushed Paulus and was assessed a T.
Uhm thats NOT what happened.

Eyezen, you must not have watched the whole game or something...what the guys are talking about above did happen as well as your situation....
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Your right. I didn't watch the whole game only the second half, just got back from my own early game and and sat down to watch... My mistake and I apologize, I didn't read about that sit. in the recap.

Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

This was a Flagrant Technical Foul. This kind of T is not handled as any other T. This would be two shoots and the ball at the Division line (just like it used to be for all Ts).

I do not know where anyone is getting classification of "Direct" or "Indirect." This was not a just a conduct foul. This was a foul that was committed by kicking an opponent (VT player kicking the Duke Player in the face). The officials applied this properly.

Look at page 168 in the NCAA Book where the chart states what should be done.

Peace