The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No time on clock, FTvsTO-? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24540-no-time-clock-ftvsto.html)

Bart Tyson Fri Jan 27, 2006 09:40am

Foul at end of game horn. No time on clock and we are shooting 3 FT's to tie the game. Can the opponent be granted a TO between each FT?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 27, 2006 09:54am

Not allowed.

jritchie Fri Jan 27, 2006 09:59am

nope

and if he/she misses the first or second, game is over and no need to shoot the rest...

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Not allowed.
Why is that, since the quarter doesn't end until after the free throws (5.6.3)?

johnfox Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:03am

i beieve 1 t-o can be granted to only one of the teams. i think it's somewhere in the case book.

Huskerblue Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:33am

NFHS Rule 6-12-3
Successive timeouts shall not be granted after expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period

VaCoach Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:40am

One can be granted

One time out can be granted, just not successive time outs..So, either team can call one time out, but then neither team can call one after that!

Chess Ref Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:40am

FT in Between

After reading Huskers posting I had a thought.

Free throw- Time Out
Free Throw-Time Out

I don't see how the time-outs are successive since there is a action between the time outs.

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Huskerblue
NFHS Rule 6-12-3
Successive timeouts shall not be granted after expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period

So the answer is one time-out may be granted.

Kajun Ref N Texas Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:45am

Re: FT in Between

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
After reading Huskers posting I had a thought.

Free throw- Time Out
Free Throw-Time Out

I don't see how the time-outs are successive since there is a action between the time outs.

Except that 4.43.2 defines a successive time-out as, "...one which is granted to either team before the clock has started following the previous time-out."

So, one time-out is allowed, as the clock is stopped.

Chess Ref Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:37am

Kajun Ref

Thank you. I figured there was a reason previous posters were saying that.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 27, 2006 01:47pm

Re: nope

Quote:

Originally posted by jritchie
and if he/she misses the first or second, game is over and no need to shoot the rest...
Says who? What if the foul occurred on a 3 point attempt, and team A was only down 1 point?

MNBlue Fri Jan 27, 2006 02:52pm

The post stated that the shooter is at the line for 3 shots in order to tie the game. If one is missed, the game cannot be tied and no reason to finish shooting, since the winner is determined.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Jan 27, 2006 02:59pm

But the post doesn't say if it will take all 3 shots being made to win the game.

BktBallRef Fri Jan 27, 2006 03:10pm

Undoubtedly, you can't comprehend that "we are shooting 3 FT's to tie the game," means that the team shooting is behind by 3 points. So if a shot is missed, the game is over.