The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Last year the rule for running out of bounds was a T, this year it's now a violation. I see players all the time on TV (mostly NCAA, not NBA) violating this rule and not being called.

Is this rule not being enforced as "not that important", or are these officials just blind.

Do I have this rule wrong?

Do you need to use this as a preventive officiating rule? By just telling these players to "stay in bounds" and then not calling it?

Dose offensive advantage need to be emphasized on this violation? When the player runs out, dose the planters foot need to be inches from the line to call this, but then let it go if there is room to run through?

I've called it 3 or 4 times this season, to last years none. Last year I felt that a "T" was too harsh of a penalty, or is it the same way with everyone else still as a violation?

What's everyone calling?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BIG O
Last year the rule for running out of bounds was a T, this year it's now a violation. I see players all the time on TV (mostly NCAA, not NBA) violating this rule and not being called.

Is this rule not being enforced as "not that important", or are these officials just blind.
Or maybe the NCAA rule is different?

Quote:
Do I have this rule wrong?

Do you need to use this as a preventive officiating rule? By just telling these players to "stay in bounds" and then not calling it?
I think you're seeing the rule too strictly. I'm not sure but it sounds as though you are thinking that the violation is for any time any player sets foot out of bounds. A dribbler can step on or over the sideline, and although there will be an oob call, there won't be a "going out of bounds" violation. Someone defending the dribbler might step a quarter inch on the sideline as they run down the court together, and I certainly wouldn't call it. A player can dive or leap oob to save a ball back in, and then land out of bounds and there's no violation. A player's momentum in the normal play can carry her out of bounds and there's no violation.

The violation is for using the oob area to gain an advantage, such as going around a screen, or shaking a defender.

Quote:
Dose offensive advantage need to be emphasized on this violation? When the player runs out, dose the planters foot need to be inches from the line to call this, but then let it go if there is room to run through?
I have no idea what this means.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

RM,

Would you call it a violation if A1 has the ball at the top of the key, with a group of players in the low box, then A2 runs the base, easily a foot out of bounds, then returns to catch a pass from A1 on the other side of the box? A2 clearly run out to go around the group of players to get open..... This is the rule....

All of my violations this year have been on the endline, just like the above situation.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RM,

Would you call it a violation if A1 has the ball at the top of the key, with a group of players in the low box, then A2 runs the base, easily a foot out of bounds, then returns to catch a pass from A1 on the other side of the box? A2 clearly run out to go around the group of players to get open..... This is the rule....

All of my violations this year have been on the endline, just like the above situation.
Yup, I'd call that.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

RM,

Would you call it if A's up by one with under a minute?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Big O,
The NCAA rule is indeed different. It is NOT a violation merely to run OOB as it is in HS. The player must also be the first player to touch the ball once he returns to the court.

For example, if A1 is holding the ball and A2 runs OOB and then comes back in. If A1 passes the ball to A2, a violation has been committed.

However, if A1 first passes the ball to A3, after A2 has reentered the court, and then A3 makes a pass to A2, that is legal.

Here is the text:

Section 4. Player Out of Bounds
Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.
a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-5.8.a, does not receive the pass along the endline by a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after his or her return to the playing court.

A.R. 13. Team A sets a double screen for A1, who, in attempting to come across the freethrow lane, is legally obstructed by offensive and defensive players so that A1 leaves the playing court under the basket, circles around, returns to the playing court and then is the first to receive the ball. RULING: A violation has been committed by A1 for leaving the playing court and then becomes the first player to touch the ball upon return.

Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Big O,
Would you call a traveling violation with Team A up by one and under a minute remaining?

Yes, I would call the OOB violation that allowed the player an advantage to get open to receive that pass.

Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RM,

yes. The only time I get a little lenient with these kinds of calls is near the end a blow-out when it's the losing team that's violating. I'm not saying I SHOULD do this, just that I do, sometimes. But even then, if I'd called it on anyone during that game, and the runner was 12 to 18 inches outside the line, I'd definitely call it.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref,
I'm new to NCAA rules (I am on a sub list for some JUCO women's games and working some men's D3 JV). Under this rule, does it only apply to players who step out on their own volition? For example, a player goes after a pass, tips it, lands oob because of momentum, and then comes legally back on the floor and is the first to touch the ball. This is not a violation under NFHS and also not under NCAA because of the term volition correct? Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Under this rule, does it only apply to players who step out on their own volition?
Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under his/her own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.
a. A violation has not been committed when a player, who steps out of bounds as permitted by Rule 7-5.8.a, does not receive the pass along the endline by a teammate and is the first to touch the ball after his or her return to the playing court.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Intentionally is the main factor here, a officials judgement call?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
... A dribbler can step on or over the sideline, and although there will be an oob call, there won't be a "going out of bounds" violation.
What's the difference?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I had this play in a NCAA D3 game this week. A2 ran along the baseline - clearly out of bounds by 2-3ft. As lead I watched his path and waited 'til he was the first person to touch the ball - then called the violation. The coach from the opposing was hollering for it as soon as the player was OOB, but the key is - first to touch.

I will only call it if it's so obvious that Stevie Wonder can see this one! I don't think I would call this in the last minute of a tie-game, but if it's really obvious (especially to the supervisor when he's watching the game tape after the coach calls to complain) then I'd like to think I'd blow the whistle.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I've called this three times...twice on the endline at the start of the season and last week on the side midway through the 3rd quarter. A2 steps out at the end of his bench next to the water cooler as his team is setting up to break a press. Clearly he blended in and had an advantage. As the ball was inbounded and passed to near mid-court, player stepped onto the floor (that is when I noticed him).

His coach started to complain but stopped when I asked if he really wanted to argue that one.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Under this rule, does it only apply to players who step out on their own volition?
Thanks Chuck. You remind me of myself with my students. You gave the information and made me figure it out. Well done! You should teach (if you don't).
Closed Thread