The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   B stepping on A's foot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24502-b-stepping-foot.html)

LepTalBldgs Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:52pm

I'm sorry if this has been covered already.

If A has the ball and B unintentionally steps on his/her foot to which prevents A from starting or continuing a dribble, what do you got? Is this a hold or nothing?

In my case there was a clear defensive advantage because A's foot stuck to the floor and the ball went bouncing away. I called and sold a hold and nobody complained (although this was rec ball where they all belong in the NBA).

But by rule is this correct?

BktBallRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:10pm

If I thought it was intentional, I would whistle it. Maybe even whistle it as an intentional foul. But if it was simply incidental, no, I wouldn't call it.

Several years ago, this particular kid that I officiated several times had a habit of sticking his foot out to trip a player driving. Simultaneously, he would look up at the shot. After a couple of times, I realized he was doing it intetnionally and I nailed him for it. He wouldn't stop, so I wanred the coach what was happening. Next time = intentional foul.

Ref in PA Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:28pm

In this case I would look at advantage/disadvantage. If I felt the offense would lose the ball, I would call the foul. If the offense was able to "play through" without much of a disadvantage, then I would let it go. Yes, it was accidental, but most times fouls are an accident by the defense.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
I'm sorry if this has been covered already.

If A has the ball and B unintentionally steps on his/her foot to which prevents A from starting or continuing a dribble, what do you got? Is this a hold or nothing?

In my case there was a clear defensive advantage because A's foot stuck to the floor and the ball went bouncing away. I called and sold a hold and nobody complained (although this was rec ball where they all belong in the NBA).

But by rule is this correct?

There's often "unintentional contact" that is judged a foul. As I envision the play described, this is one of those instances, alhtough I might signal block.

refnrev Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:31am

I used to see a team whose coach taught his guys to step on the opposing player's foot when guarding on throw ins, etc. He got his team a lot of cheap fouls for it.

SmokeEater Thu Jan 26, 2006 09:26am

This was a tactic I was taught way back in the day for jump ball. As the toss goes up you step forward onto the opponents foot, he cant jump in the air and it gives you a second or two advantage. Not to mention a bit of a lift off his foot. Worked sometimes sometimes it didn't. It would sometimes get called as a violation for stepping across the line but never a foul.

ctpfive Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:53am

What if A1 steps on B1's foot causing A1 to travel? Do you call the travel or foul on B1 for tripping?

Ref in PA Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by ctpfive
What if A1 steps on B1's foot causing A1 to travel? Do you call the travel or foul on B1 for tripping?
You are saying an obvious violation occurred. I am assuming a "no call" on the play is NOT an option.

It is not quite that simple. Was B1 stationary? If so, A1 has the responsibility and a travel will be called.

Was the step incidental to B1 playing good defense in Legal Guarding Position (LGP)? If so, then A1 traveled.

If B1 does not have LGP and is moving, then advantage the defense gained the advantage and B1 will be whistled for the foul.