The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Please educate a parent (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24501-please-educate-parent.html)

bellnier Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:19pm

My daughter has played varsity ball for some years and I'm trying to figure out the small differences in refereeing trends from year-to-year. For example, up until this year we rarely saw calls for lane violations by free throw shooters...this year we see 2-3 each game. Last year we got lots of 3-second violation calls, this year not so many. Is there really a pattern, or am I imagining this? Do you guys get reminders on what to emphasize or look for at the start of each season?

MichiganOfficial Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:23pm

It could be a "point of emphasis" to the officials in your area for that year.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:31pm

Every year we are give points of emphasis and expected to clear them up. I do not recall any emphasis on 3-seconds or free throw lane violations.

It could be that last year you had a kid who camped in the lane and got called for it 2-3 times per game and she could not find it in herself to get out until she realized that tonights officials were going to enforce it. Maybe this year you've got girls who played AAU ball all summer (they use women's NCAA rules and are allowed to enter the lane at the shot release) and they are struggling to adjust. I saw some of the girls games dealing with this at the beginning of the season as they were still adjusting.

It may not be the officials but rather a particular player who needs to get with the program. This late in the season, if you're still getting those calls against you, I would guess coach needs to address those kids.

At the varsity level, it's usually a pretty serious offense in order for an official to make those calls. IE: refs will try to chase kids out of the lane before calling 3 seconds.

SamIAm Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bellnier
My daughter has played varsity ball for some years and I'm trying to figure out the small differences in refereeing trends from year-to-year. For example, up until this year we rarely saw calls for lane violations by free throw shooters...this year we see 2-3 each game. Last year we got lots of 3-second violation calls, this year not so many. Is there really a pattern, or am I imagining this? Do you guys get reminders on what to emphasize or look for at the start of each season?
As kids age they learn more about the game, increase their coordination, and generally become more competitive.

Sounds like you daughter and her teammates may have become more aware of the lane limitations and how long they are there. As they learn to play the game better, they start to infringe on violations that previosly did not came into play, or they were not creating an advantage by violating rules earlier, but now are.

Or

It could be a POE (point of emphasis).

bellnier Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:39pm

Many thanks!

Didn't know about POEs for basketball. It's strange, but there seems to be a real surge in FT lane violation calls this year...do all HS refs get the same POEs, or can it vary from state-to-state or section-to-section (we're in NY Section VI). Thanks again, you guys are great.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:03pm

The NFHS issues POEs each year, nationwide. Also, states and locals may have their own. Finally, some crews may be stricter on lane violations than on something else.

Forksref Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:06pm

POE or no POE, the big thing is to have the players adjust to what is being called. If you have more than one lane violation in the same game, they haven't adjusted (with help of coaches, of course).

johnny1784 Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:07pm

Re: Many thanks!

Quote:

Didn't know about POEs for basketball. It's strange, but there seems to be a real surge in FT lane violation calls this year...do all HS refs get the same POEs, or can it vary from state-to-state or section-to-section (we're in NY Section VI). Thanks again, you <font color = red><b>guys</font></b> are great.
We do have gals working as basketball officials.

Maybe you feel every one looks like a man.

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 25, 2006 04:49pm

We talked about lane violations just this week in our meeting. The state is concerned with some of the video they've gotten showing violations not being called. So I called one yesterday.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 05:27pm

Good grief, get over it.

Quote:

Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:

Didn't know about POEs for basketball. It's strange, but there seems to be a real surge in FT lane violation calls this year...do all HS refs get the same POEs, or can it vary from state-to-state or section-to-section (we're in NY Section VI). Thanks again, you <font color = red><b>guys</font></b> are great.

First, you post a vulgar name about the female anatomy that has to be deleted by a mod, now you're defending all of womankind?

Did any "gals" replay to this post? Have you considered that's what he was saying?

Moron.

canuckrefguy Wed Jan 25, 2006 07:34pm

Re: Re: Many thanks!

Quote:

Quote:

:rolleyes:

Lotto Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:24pm

Re: Many thanks!

Quote:

Didn't know about POEs for basketball. It's strange, but there seems to be a real surge in FT lane violation calls this year...do all HS refs get the same POEs, or can it vary from state-to-state or section-to-section (we're in NY Section VI). Thanks again, you guys are great.
Girl's basketball in New York uses NCAA rules with a couple of modifications. We also use the NCAA points of emphasis. The two points of emphasis this year are displacement and bench decorum.

You can download the NCAA rulebook from the NCAA web site and read the details there.

rainmaker Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:41am

Re: Re: Many thanks!

Quote:

With friends like this... :rolleyes:

bellnier Thu Jan 26, 2006 09:38am

Thanks everyone. This board is a great resource for folks (refs and nonrefs, alike) to git a little learnin'.

I shouldn't even respond, but I really didn't expect to be flamed by some jacka## for referring to all of you on this board as "guys"? It was meant as a gender-neutral term...sheesh.

ChuckElias Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:26am

Quote:

I really didn't expect to be flamed by some jacka## for referring to all of you on this board as "guys"? It was meant as a gender-neutral term...sheesh.
And everybody, with one exception, knew that, bellnier. So please don't let that discourage you from coming back and gittin' that next question answered. :)