The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   inbounds or out of bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24498-inbounds-out-bounds.html)

archer Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:27pm

How many feet have to be touching the floor to be considered inbounds?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by archer
How many feet have to be touching the floor to be considered inbounds?
None. ;)

If a player is touching OOB, or is in the air having last touched OOB, the player is OOB. If the player is not OOB, the player is inbounds.

MichiganOfficial Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:18pm

You dont "have" any feet on the court to be IB. However you must have "had" both feet on the court to be IB.

Does that make sence.

Ref in PA Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MichiganOfficial
You dont "have" any feet on the court to be IB. However you must have "had" both feet on the court to be IB.

Does that make sence.

"Both feet" is not a requirement.

M&M Guy Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:30pm

Quote:

Does that make sence.

Careful, that's not exactly true either. For example, if the player is coming from OOB, steps one foot entirely inbounds while the other foot is in the air, that player is considered inbounds.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:34pm

Quote:

Does that make sence.

Sorry, I couldn't pass this one up.....did you mean "scents"? ;)

MichiganOfficial Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:

Does that make sence.

Careful, that's not exactly true either. For example, if the player is coming from OOB, steps one foot entirely inbounds while the other foot is in the air, that player is considered inbounds.

Inbounds for the sake of what he/she cant touch the ball untill they have established the other foot inbounds, so are you inbounds with only one foot coming from OOB?
Only if you only have one foot.

Jerry Blum Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:48pm

MichiganOfficial - I am unaware of any requirement to have both feet inbounds to be considered inbounds. If there is a rules reference to support your claim please list it, because I am pretty sure there isn't one. If there is one it will help me to not make that mistake anymore.

M&M Guy Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:49pm

Quote:

Inbounds for the sake of what he/she cant touch the ball untill they have established the other foot inbounds, so are you inbounds with only one foot coming from OOB?
Only if you only have one foot.

Why?

I was using 4-35-1, and 4-35-3.

mcdanrd Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:58pm

Quote:

he/she cant touch the ball until they have established the other foot inbounds,
This is incorrect. Only one foot has to be established on the court before the player can gain control of the ball. The two foot "rule" is one more of the myths of basketball.

Kajun Ref N Texas Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:15pm

Sorry Michigan

One foot.

lmeadski Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:25pm

One foot

FishinRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 03:54pm

ONE FOOT!!!!!!!! 4.35.2 NFHS Case Book