The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm venting a little, but I worked the absolute worst game of my career last night. 2 local 1A schools. I was home with the stomach flu all day, but had to suck it up and work because I couldn't find a sub. So I'm feeling crappy, but calling a decent game (I'd give myself a B, I was calling a decent game, but I wasn't in my usual positions at times just because my energy was zapped). Our girls game was the worst. Double bonus both ways with 2 minutes left in the half. The second half, believe it or not was worse. Double bonus both ways with 5 minutes left in the half. I was talking to the girls about getting their hands off every free throw, but they wouldn't quit. 3 visitors fouled out. I heard a fan say the 4th quarter took 40 minutes. Total game time was an hour and 45 minutes. I'll post the total fouls when I get a chance to check the paper (if anyone is interested), but I'm sure we were right around 50 or more. Luckily the boys game was pretty well played. Hopefully I'll never have to live through a marathon like that again.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

at least you did your job and called the game. unfortunately some nights we get those kinda games. plus, it seems like it happens when we're hurt or not feeling good. kudos on hanging in there.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Hopefully I'll never have to live through a marathon like that again.
Why, are you retiring?

I think it's safe to say we've all been through those. Perhaps the game felt like crap because you felt like crap. And, I hate to break it to you, but unless you're getting out of the game, there will be others like it. The key is to work it the best you can (get in, get done, get out), and remember the good ones.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

No danger of me quitting anytime soon. I've had some ugly ones in the past, but this was way above and beyond anything I've ever worked. Hopefully I'll never have to work another one that is that bad, but you are right, the odds are against it.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Junker:

Maybe if you worked basketball in the state directly to your north you would not have issues such as this!!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

True, but do they have basketball up there? I thought all they played was hockey.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Junker, Those could have been my games last night. Both the boys and girls games were 50 point differences. We had 54 fouls in the girls game. End of first quarter in boys game the score was 34 - 3. It was UUuuuugly. Makes for a very long night.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but do they have basketball up there? I thought all they played was hockey.
Some of the games I work up here more closely resemble hockyey games. Especially when I ref with Jon Robairre....
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
longest game I ever did was a girls game that had a combined 78 fouls !
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
Quote:
Some of the games I work up here more closely resemble hockyey games. Especially when I ref with Jon Robairre....
I feel you pain. That's why we sent him back up north where he belongs.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

The worst game I ever did was a JV girls game. FINAL score 48 - 0. Thats right, the HOME team scored 0. The visiting coach asked my parter and I to start putting home team girls on the foul line even if his girls never touch them. I gained more respect for that coach's compassion than any since.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Most Fouls

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
longest game I ever did was a girls game that had a combined 78 fouls !
Last weekend I had a House Leauge game 13-14 boys. 47 fouls between the two teams. Team A only had 8 players and Team B had 7. The first half had 27 fouls. And that was actually the best game of the day.