The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball then Hissy Fit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24489-jump-ball-then-hissy-fit.html)

Chess Ref Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:25am

Girls Frosh, Jump Ball, Arrow Team A. Team B player has a lil hissy fit at opposing player and partner T's her up. We shoot em and Team A throws in at the Division Line and we have another Jump Ball. Partner says Team B, I say Team A . I read here "if you don't use you don't lose it" in regards to the AP arrow.

What do you say ?

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:33am

Team A's AP.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:41am

Team A has the arrow.

You then have a held ball.

This is the first held ball of the game.

Why is it difficult to understand that A gets the ball since the arrow is pointed at A's basket? :confused:

mopar60 Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43am

The reason being that "A" never had a chance to use their AP throw in due to the T being called prior to that throw in, is that right?

MN 3 Sport Ref Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:47am

Arrow is not reversed until the throw in ends. IE is released by the thrower or the thrower commits a violation. So arrow stays at A's basket.

SmokeEater Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:02pm

How would the technical fit into this then. I read this as the game is underway and there is a held ball. Arrow favors team A. Then prior to the throw in tech is called on B. 2 shots and POI which would be throw in for A?

Is this not the AP throw in now? I am getting all confused and probably making it more difficult then it needs be.
Next AP would then go to B, I thought.

Chess Ref Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:13pm

Smoker

I believe when there is a T the ball is taken out at the division line. POI is for double fouls, double t's ....

Yes the game is underway. This was not the opening jump. Hope that clears it up.

SmokeEater Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16pm

Just so its clear, NCAA rules state a technical foul for unsporting conduct by a player is 2 shots and the ball put back in play at POI.

Chess Ref Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:21pm

Smoker

I am referencing HS ball. So for HS ball I think I got it right and where to put the ball in play. For NCAA I will take your word cause I don't know.

lmeadski Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:02pm

According to your scenario

it is As ball for throwin. They did not lose their AP due to the technical. Shoot the T. AP stayed with A until the next possession change. My question remains: why the POI for throwin? Aren't all Ts throw in at half court line? If not, on what Ts are they POI vs Half court throw in?

bob jenkins Wed Jan 25, 2006 01:21pm

Re: According to your scenario

Quote:

Originally posted by lmeadski
it is As ball for throwin. They did not lose their AP due to the technical. Shoot the T. AP stayed with A until the next possession change. My question remains: why the POI for throwin? Aren't all Ts throw in at half court line? If not, on what Ts are they POI vs Half court throw in?
The responses discussing "POI on Ts" were for NCAA rules.

The responses discussing "no throw-in for the held ball; throw-in for the T at the division line; don't change the arrow" were for FED.

Hope it's clear, now.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 25, 2006 02:18pm

Re: Smoker

Quote:

Originally posted by Chess Ref
I believe when there is a T the ball is taken out at the division line. POI is for double fouls, double t's ....

Yes the game is underway. This was not the opening jump. Hope that clears it up.

You stated, "Girls Frosh, Jump Ball, Arrow Team A."

The only jump ball is at the beginning of the game.

Please use the term held ball so as to not confuse things. :)

ncump7 Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:05am

Hissy Fit

I was thinking this was a term that only a southerner would understand. I must be wrong.

just another ref Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:21am

Re: Hissy Fit

Quote:

Originally posted by ncump7
I was thinking this was a term that only a southerner would understand. I must be wrong.
10-99 A player who has a hissy fit is charged with a flagrant technical foul.

Forksref Thu Jan 26, 2006 08:53pm

All fits, whether hissy or not are T's.