The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Boys varsity game. 3 whistle crew. I am trail. A1 starts a drive to basket very near the 3 pt line, not clearly Leads primary, near baseline. In fact the drive goes baseline. Lead takes the drive, A1 beats B1 to the baseline. Here comes help side defense, which I pick up and see that B2 is there all the way. A1 charges into B2. The lead hesitates and then gives blocking signal. No one in the gym liked it including the coach. These types of plays happen fast. If I would have whistled it, we would have had a double whistle and things might have worked out differently. I didn't because I am still just a little un sure if I should go that far to make that call. Any input here?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am a little confused as to where the drive really started. Did it start in the corner with the drive going parallel to the baseline? If so, there is only 5 feet max in which the player is in the T's primary. On step on drive puts him within L's primary. Or did it start out higher and go toward the baseline?

In either case, not knowing where the other players were located on the court, from your description of where the foul occurred the ball was clearly in the L's primary and you should have been looking off ball, probably in the middle of the lane. It sounds like it is the Lead's call, right or wrong, and it doesn't do well to get into the habit of questioning foul judgement calls on the floor.

Definitely discuss the play at halftime or post-game and maybe you can even get a tape of the game. Some schools are "videotaping" their games directly to computers in DVD format and are able to burn copies of the game within minutes of its conclusion. I have taken advantage of this several times this year..ref the game and leave with a DVD copy to analyze when I get home.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to say that the drive started in the corner right at the 3 pt line. I am not questioning the call. I know it sounds like I am. I do feel like I could have been more help on the play. The low post left to screen away, and his defender came back to help. If the lead has the drive, who has the help defender? Is this my call as the trail?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

It is my opinion that the lead still has to be able to rule on block/player control by ANY defender who contacts the dribbler no matter where the defender came from.

During the game you have to rely on his judgement. It is OK to disagree mentally with the call at the time. But the only time to verbally indicate we thought the foul call might have been otherwise is in the locker room at half and post-game. Maybe we need to alter our primary area slightly to get better coourt coverage given this teams tendencies.

That is why we also look at game tape of the play to see 1) if call was correct or not, and 2) how could I have adjusted my position to get a better view.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
The lead hesitates and then gives blocking signal. No one in the gym liked it including the coach. These types of plays happen fast. If I would have whistled it, we would have had a double whistle and things might have worked out differently. I didn't because I am still just a little un sure if I should go that far to make that call. Any input here?
You can have a whistle -- just don't have a signal until you and the lead communicate on who will take the foul. Then, when you see L hesitate, you can step forward strongly and take the call. If L makes the call, the fact that you also had a whistle will (well, might) help calm the waters.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Lets just say that the drive originated from the corner in my primary? Do I have the drive all the way to the basket or do I give it up to the lead?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lets just say that the drive originated from the corner in my primary? Do I have the drive all the way to the basket or do I give it up to the lead?
You keep it!! The drive originated in your primary stay with it until all activities has ended. i.e. shot, foul, violation.

[Edited by truerookie on Jan 25th, 2006 at 05:29 PM]
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've got this but I just one some verification. Now the drive starts just inside the 3pt line and goes baseline, leads primary. Lead has the drive, and is watching the primary defender. Is the lead in this case expected to also pick up the secondary defender who comes and helps, or am I supposed to be looking for that secondary defender from my trail position?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I've got this but I just one some verification. Now the drive starts just inside the 3pt line and goes baseline, leads primary. Lead has the drive, and is watching the primary defender. Is the lead in this case expected to also pick up the secondary defender who comes and helps, or am I supposed to be looking for that secondary defender from my trail position?
The thing we preach in our association on a play like this is the one second delayed whistle by the official with secondary coverage, in this case, the trail. The play belongs to the lead, give him the first crack at it, but if he doesn't take care of it, then don't be afraid to jump in and grab it. Even if your delayed whistle creates a double whistle for some reason, like he hesitates or whatever, let him take it. In my mind, it's better to have 2 whistles then none, especially on a play like this which probably ended up with players all over the floor. Now, make sure you withhold any preliminary signal, and hopefully you pre-gamed how to handle a double whistle and who is going to take it. Even if you don't agree with his call, and it's his primary, keep that to yourself out on the floor, and discuss it in the lockerroom later.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
This topic comes up every once in a while and there simply is no answer that is 100% correct every single time. There are three main philosophies among officials.

1) If a drive starts in one official's primary, then that official has primary coverage of contact on the try, regardless of where the drive ends.

2) If a drive ends in one official's primary, then that official has primary coverage of contact on the try, regardless of where the drive begins.

3) If a drive starts in one official's primary, then that official "stays with the play" all the way to the basket, but will only have a secondary whistle.

It is essential to know, before the game begins, which philosophy is held by your partners. There is no cut and dried answer. You have to talk about it to be sure you're all on the same page.