The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OOPS! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24454-oops.html)

Rita C Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:51am

Called my first intentional foul tonight. Come home and read the other intentional foul thread and realized I did it mostly right. Not good enough, dang it all.

It was a player control intentional. (Intentional elbow into the stomach of the defender.) My mistake is that I didn't have the fouled player make the shot. I did have it put back into play at the right spot.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Rita

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 24, 2006 01:23am

I'm assuming you're just being descriptive by calling it a "player control intentional." They are, of course, two seperate types of fouls with different penalties. One particularly significant difference is that if you ruled it intentional, and there was any kind of made basket involved, the basket counts.

Rita C Tue Jan 24, 2006 02:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I'm assuming you're just being descriptive by calling it a "player control intentional." They are, of course, two seperate types of fouls with different penalties. One particularly significant difference is that if you ruled it intentional, and there was any kind of made basket involved, the basket counts.
I am being descriptive. The young woman was dribbling the ball and put a good elbow into the stomach of the guard. I called intentional foul.

Rita

Nevadaref Tue Jan 24, 2006 04:10am

Quote:

This is strange, but true! :)

If airborne shooter A1 intentionally fouls B1 and the try is successful, then the goal counts and B1 will be awarded 2 FTs with no players along the lane followed by a throw-in for Team B at the nearest spot from the foul.

Why? Because the foul by A1 is not a player control foul even though it was committed by an airborne shooter. It just doesn't meet the definition, since it was not a common foul.

stosh Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:05pm

But doesn't a foul being committed by anyone other than an opponent of the shooter make the ball immediately dead (no basket)? That would cancel the shot or made basket and give B1 two FTs and the ball near where the foul occured.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

If airborne shooter A1 intentionally fouls B1 and the try is successful, then the goal counts and B1 will be awarded 2 FTs with no players along the lane followed by a throw-in for Team B at the nearest spot from the foul.

Why? Because the foul by A1 is not a player control foul even though it was committed by an airborne shooter. It just doesn't meet the definition, since it was not a common foul.

You may want to look over the ruling on that. An airborne shooter is still a shooter until he returns to the floor. But if he passes that ball he is no long an airborne shooter.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:16pm

Quote:

Quote:

You may want to look over the ruling on that. An airborne shooter is still a shooter until he returns to the floor. But if he passes that ball he is no long an airborne shooter. I dont have my rule book in front of me right now.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:17pm

Quote:

Quote:

You may want to look over the ruling on that. An airborne shooter is still a shooter until he returns to the floor. But if he passes that ball he is no long an airborne shooter. I dont have my rule book in front of me right now.

CaliOne Tue Jan 24, 2006 01:50pm

Just give her a Flagrant T and toss her!!! :D That will eliminate any confusion! lol

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 24, 2006 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:

Quote:

I'm lost. Where does a pass come into this?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 24, 2006 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stosh
But doesn't a foul being committed by anyone other than an opponent of the shooter make the ball immediately dead (no basket)? That would cancel the shot or made basket and give B1 two FTs and the ball near where the foul occured.
A foul by the offense results in an immediate dead ball if the ball is not in flight on a try. If the ball is in flight, then only a foul by the airborne shooter makes the ball dead immediately (no basket). If the foul is by another offensive player, then the ball does not become dead until the try ends (and the basket will count of the try is successful).

ChuckElias Wed Jan 25, 2006 09:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
If the ball is in flight, then only a foul by the airborne shooter makes the ball dead immediately (no basket).
More precisely, and as Nevada pointed out, only a common foul by the airborne shooter causes a try in flight to become dead immediately.

A player control foul is defined as a common foul, so if the airborne shooter commits an intentional or flagrant foul after releasing the try, the basket will count if it goes in.