The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

What do you guys think about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2301094

Coach collapses to ground because of a heart condition and gets a T for it.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toadman15241
What do you guys think about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2301094

Coach collapses to ground because of a heart condition and gets a T for it.
What do you think about it?
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Officials called a technical foul on Penders, apparently thinking he was reacting to the foul call. But the game stopped and the crowd hushed when Penders didn't get up.

Wow!
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

The coach said he had no idea until later that he was called for a technical foul. The technical was not rescinded.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Thats pretty bad judgement I'd say. Come on who reacts to a foul call as if they are passing out. If anyone has any stories I'd love to hear it.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Thats pretty bad judgement I'd say. Come on who reacts to a foul call as if they are passing out. If anyone has any stories I'd love to hear it.
I have seen college coaches on TV react to calls in all kinds of crazy ways... including falling to the floor. I can certainly understand why the officials thought he was showing them up.

I'm sure that "by rule" there is no way to take the technical foul back. But by common sense, you'd think they would have rescinded it.

Z
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

That's kinda like one of those "how many pushups can your Dad do?" jokes, when you respond that your Dad lost an arm in the war.

I understand the initial thought of the official but after seeing what transpired, I'd feel horrible if I let the call stand. Why not get together with the crew and pickup the flag?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

As I posted on a different forum, it really depends on what the official saw.

If the medical condition led to the action, then rescind it.

If the official saw a reaction to the call, which led to the T, followed by the medical condition, then keep the T.

Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here. He collapses with 52 seconds left in the first half, and comes back to coach at the start of the second half. How serious was it really?

[cynical = on] What are the chances that that he did go to his knees to initially react to the call, got the T, then thought to himself, "Damn, they really did stick me. Hmm...I'll show them. I'll just stay down and boy, that'll get them!" A coach surely would NEVER do something like that, right? Right?? [cynical = off]

I hope he's feeling better.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Ok, maybe I'm missing something here. He collapses with 52 seconds left in the first half, and comes back to coach at the start of the second half. How serious was it really?

You can have those type of symptoms from a heart condition, and be almost immediately OK with the proper medication. People with diabetes, for instance, also can go through almost exactly the same thing and be fine after taking a little orange juice.

Didn't you tell us once that you still get giddy, light-headed and sometimes faint at Backstreet Boy concerts too, M?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
You can have those type of symptoms from a heart condition, and be almost immediately OK with the proper medication. People with diabetes, for instance, also can go through almost exactly the same thing and be fine after taking a little orange juice.
Yea, I know. I had a partner who has early stages of diabetes faint on me during a game in a holiday tournament, and he was back and ready to go by the next game. Funny thing about that game - we had some chirping going on by both coaches and fans, but after my partner's fainting spell, our third and I didn't hear a single thing from anybody through the end of the game. I guess it drove home the point there are more important things than a game of basketball. Since then we always include in our pre-game whose turn is it to faint if coaches and fans get out of line...
Quote:
Didn't you tell us once that you still get giddy, light-headed and sometimes faint at Backstreet Boy concerts too, M?
Nah, that was Beatles concerts. Get your boy bands straight, will 'ya?

I guess we need to have a tape of the game, or an eye-witness tell us the actual time frame of the events. I have seen coaches go to their knees to react to a call, and I've seen T's given for that reaction. I would think once it became obvious there was a medical condition involved, I would quickly call an inadvertant whistle, or whatever, to recind the T. I just wonder if something was said to go with the drop to the knees? Or perhaps he really did drop to his knees to react to the call, then that's what precipitated the fainting. Maybe I'm starting to get too cynical in my advancing years?...

(Used with permission.)
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

Quote:
Nah, that was Beatles concerts. Get your boy bands straight, will 'ya? [/B]
Could be worse. You could be getting giddy and fainting at Village People concerts like some people I know(coughDancough).....
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I'd probably faint at a beatles or Backstreet Boys concert, just give me some rock to listen too and I'm up in no time :d (no offense meant to you who like Beatles or BB)
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

C-USA has stated that the officials used poor judgment in this matter. While I have seen no video of the incident, I have to agree with the conference on this one. Once they saw Penders carried off in a stretcher with oxygen, I think it would be safe to say it would be alright to pass on the foul.

Common sense fellas...
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I saw it on the news. Dude was being an @$$ before he went down. He probably deserved it, and even if he didn't this time, just consider it payback for all the ones he SHOULD have gotten.