The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Where in the country would you guys say is the breeding area for high level officials. Any state in particular? If so what makes these states so strong. Also I'd love to hear from those of you who have moved all over, where you think the best officials are? Another question what state has the hardest requirments to ref. I know in Missouri its really easy, take the open booked written, atend the rules meeting and if you have 3 years or less of experience attend the clinic.

[Edited by fonzzy07 on Jan 21st, 2006 at 03:01 PM]
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I recall reading that a high percentage of NBA officials were from the Philadelphia area.

Having said that I also recall that the context of the story was that that Philadelphia is Stu Jackson - NBA VP of Offials - home too and not a positve slant.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have to imagine there's no specific place for breeding rounds, I imagine the NBA is pretty diverse.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by fonzzy07
Where in the country would you guys say is the breeding area for high level officials.
Juulie's house.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Where in the country would you guys say is the breeding area for high level officials.
Juulie's house.
ROTFLMAO!
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago three or four guys from Denver worked deep into the NCAAM tourney and one or two of them (Randy McCall, and maybe another) worked the championship game. There was a write up about it in one of the Denver papers. I don't know if they produce many NBA refs, but they produce quite a few NCAA refs, it seems.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
A couple of years ago three or four guys from Denver worked deep into the NCAAM tourney and one or two of them (Randy McCall, and maybe another) worked the championship game. There was a write up about it in one of the Denver papers. I don't know if they produce many NBA refs, but they produce quite a few NCAA refs, it seems.
Must be the altitude ??
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Juulie's house.
Award Winner
RefDaddy's selection as Post of the Month Award.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

I came home last night after Coaching my Y 9-12 Grade Team to a neat 33 point defeat. I was a little upset that a few members of my Team were critical of my substitution pattern! We had 10 kids and it's an Equal Playing Time League....I tend to do 5 in.....5 out. I tried to explain that if I played our 5 best kids 3/4 of the Game....it's mathematically impossible for everybody to play 1/2 the game! They weren't buying it.....

Anyway, I sat down with an apple and flicked on the computer. Went right away to the "Breeding Area for High Level Officials" Post. I was doing alright until I read the Reply...."Julie's House".

I had just taken a big bite out of the Fuji and a chunk of apple lodge in my throat when I laughed! I started to choke and trash about. I turned blue in about 45 seconds. My wife came downstairs....saw me "blue" in front of the computer and said,

"Dear, you really need to spend less time on those XXX sites."

I pointed to my throat and she finally understood that I was dying. Luckily, there was a basketball needle on the computer table. She pushed it thru my throat. I still couldn't get enogh air thru the tiny hole. She grabbed the hand pump from my equipment bag and started pumping. Thank God she use to be an ironworker. She was able to maintain 8-12 PSI in me until the parmedics arrived. Another close call due to The Forum.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow

Luckily, there was a basketball needle on the computer table. She pushed it thru my throat. I still couldn't get enogh air thru the tiny hole. She grabbed the hand pump from my equipment bag and started pumping. Thank God she use to be an ironworker. She was able to maintain 8-12 PSI in me until the parmedics arrived. Another close call due to The Forum.
Just one very small criticism of your wife's procedure.....after inflating you to 8-12psi, she should have checked you out by dropping you from a height of 6 feet to make sure that you would rebound to a height of between 49 and 54 inches. Rule 1-12-2. Other than that, she did a great job.

The women's a saint!
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

She is a Saint....you don't know the 1/2 of it! Two summers ago we were having a cookout. My neighbor says,

"There's an ANIMAL under your truck!"

I go over and it's one of those lop-ear bunnies. The thing is tame. I picked her up and put her in a laundry basket on the porch. I was going to take her to the MSPCA the next day. We figured somebody abandonned her in a drive-by.

Before I knew it....Mrs. Crow had purchased a cage for the porch. No trip to the MSPCA! Then when it got cold on the porch.....we had a second cage in the living room. The rabbit gets Gourmet Rabbit Food (seriously they sell it at Market Basket), fresh hay every day, toys......

I asked her if somebody were to offer us $1 million for her would you sell? No answer.....just THE LOOK!
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I asked her if somebody were to offer us $1 million for her would you sell? No answer.....just THE LOOK!
Tell her that you heard that rabbit tastes just like chicken, and then see what her response is....
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I didn't live to be this old becuz I take fool hardy risks!

Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I didn't live to be this old becuz I take fool hardy risks!

Yabut....think how cute the l'il dickens are when they're mad....just before you lose consciousness.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Not sure about the country but as far as our own state
Michigan. You need not look any further than the officials in the GCCOA (Genesee County Coaches and Officials Association). They have the best high school and college basketball officials in the state. Each years this association puts in at least 5-6 of its officials in the MHSAA tournament, semi-finals and finals. They work hard and study constantly, attending clinics each and every year trying to improve themselves and each other. If you are ever in the mid-michigan area go check out a game, you will enjoy it.