The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just looking for some advice when you have a coach more than twice in a season? I have worked three girls JV games at this one school this season. The team is not very good and has lost all 3 games. Didn't have any problems during 1st game. 2nd game I had a bad 1st quarter, coach was working me pretty hard, I knew I blew a call or two, rest of the game I improved and coach got happier, still lost. Last week I had this team and coach for 3rd time. 4th quarter I call an obvious intentional foul on a fast break for excessive contact, I am 125% for sure call is right.Coach says she played the ball, when I report the foul the coach trys to get in my way, he is in a bulleying mood I guess.
Next trip down I call a holding foul on one of his players, After reporting foul, in two man my place to be is right next to him, his team is pressing, he tells me I am pathetic, not the call, but I am pathetic, I whack him, my first T of the season. My question is should I try to stay out of situations like these by taking only one or two games at a school? thoughts on this anyone?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 08:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I try not to have more than 3 assignments for one team in a season. [Ended up filling in and having one team 5 times this year, but they were varsity games that were to be DH and the school notified the assignor 3 days before the season that the games were simultaneous and he was very much in need of officials.] You finally had enough and took care of him with a T, but you probably should have whacked him earlier. I know that my fuse is longer than it ought to be, but I also keep hearing that if you are tired of hearing a coach on your butt as you describe, there is a solution.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey 181174, I'm guessing these are not the only 3 games this team has lost this year. I've seen alot of coaches with bad teams end up riding the officials. It's like they know there's nothing else to say to the kids so why not ride the officials? It's a long season and sometimes it just works out that you'll see him alot between home and away games. Who knows, maybe you won't see him for a couple of years again.

I hear guys talk about starting with a clean slate for each game, which I completly agree with. However, it's hard to have a bad memory about his past transgressions. I'd work hard for him and let him coach his kids but don't let him coach you or your partner.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

....be sure to inform your partner too.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:35am
Jerry Blum

The best advice I've heard about situations like this doesn't have to do with the number of times you've had the team in a given year or in the past. If you have problems with a certain coach make sure that you go into the next game with him without a preconceived idea about the coach or the game. If the coach wants to continue to have problems let him earn the penalties for his actions during the current game.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

2nd yr-already have a history

Last year my second game. GJV. Coach is a total butt head and I had no skills so he got away with murder. Had him early this year no problem. Week later I have him again and I let it get personal, he got as close as he could without physical contact and it was really a bizarre deal. So I T him. And the game went on. I put that team on my Do Not Work List. If he went over the line and physically assaulted me I guess I could call the local cops but wait I can't, he is the local cop. So I just don't work anymore of his games. Problem solved for me.

Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I had the same JV team 4 times last year, although they weren't all home games. Our assignor tries to put us only twice at a given site, but we could still end up having a certain school several times away. I'd say what others have said. Give each game it's own attention and it's own set of reactions. Don't let things carry over. That's as much as you can do. If a coach can't handle it, you do what's necessary. Sounds like you did that. Good job!
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Chess, just becasuse the guy IS the local cop, doesn't make him exempt from the law. He assaults you, call the Sherriff's office, State Troopers, whoever. Don't let this jackA$$ intimidate you just because of who he is.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Husker Blue

Agreed , but I prefer to not even deal with this type of SITCH. I have ties to the LE community and not willing to fight or even consider fighting that battle. By not doing his games my problem is solved. I live in an area where there is over 125 schools so its not like it's costing me any games.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

In lower level games, whack early and often. The more you take from them, the more they are going to give. Last year was my first in one conference working their lower level basketball (Freshman-JV). Almost every coach tried to see how far they could take me. I gave them their firm warning, then I took care of them if they continued. They found out my limits and now when I go, they do a nice job of asking me questions.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
My thoughts on this are:

1) If you are calling a solid game, and your calls are obvious to anyone, no need to worry about gripes.

2) Game management. Calmly talk to coach(es) regardless of their demeanor. Be able to explain and defend your call with rule book (if necessary).

3) Stay consistent throughout. Calls in the first quarter should be calls in the fourth.

4) If the first three fail, whack away!!