The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Junior high game with a scoreboard without the team fouls. I do try to keep tract, but . . .

Common foul by B1, I report it, my partner adminsters throw-in, and after a second or two of play, A's Coaches are yelling, "We're in the bonus, we're in the bonus!" I said, "Call a time-out, and I'll check." But I think they thought I was joking. A second later, my partner called a jump ball. Here's where I got confused.

Since it was the first dead ball since the clock had properly started, I knew if they really were in the bonus, we could award the free throw(s) [they were and I knew which player should shoot].

But how do we resume play if:
The arrow favors A?
The arrow favors B?
Does it matter?

I copped out and resumed play with the free throws and did not change the arrow. I checked the rule book when I got home and I think I should have shot the free throws with the lane clear and awarded the ball to the team with the arrow.

Any thoughts?
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

It does depend which way the AP arrow is pointing. If the team that threw the ball in has the arrow, there was no change in possession -> line 'em up and resume play from the free throws...

If the other team has the AP arrow, then there was a change of possession -> clear the lane for the 1 & 1 after which give the ball to the other team at the designated spot for the held ball.

This is covered in Case 2.10.1A...