The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just want to publicly thank Rockyroad for all the advice and assistance this weekend at camp. The coolest thing about this was all the advice and suggestions helped a lot! Also, Rr, please tell Robby the same to him. I'm afraid I was exhausted to the point of tears, while he was talking to me, but I wasn't upset, just TIRED!!

Here's what I learned:

1) Hustle! I thought I was working hard, but it didn't show, and I wasn't working as hard as I could.
a) Lead MUST beat the play down the floor, using the pull-in-behind-the-shot move only once or twice during the whole game.
b) Trail MUST keep up with the pack.
c) Never walk when you can run. When you walk, walk only fast. Never saunter -- standing is much better.
d) Good posture adds a tremendous amount of hustle to your appearance.

2) Saying a little to coaches early on, is better than saying a whole bunch in a crisis.

3) Legal guarding position is different for screens and other off-ball movement, than for block/charge. The three requirements for off-ball guarding are 1) be at the spot first, 2)..without contact, 3)"time and distance" apply.

4) Write down and memorize certain sentences to say to coaches. This helps avoid accidntal bad explanations.

5) Consistency counts for a lot. Teamwork with your partner helps assure consistency.

Which leads to the most important lesson from the weekend:
6) Communication with your partner makes or breaks the game. Always work together, always communicate, lots of eye contact.

I know this will seem elementary to many of you, and it's not brand new to me, but I was able to take it to a whole new level this weekend and that was very good!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Question What are you saying in #3-3 ?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

3) Legal guarding position is different for screens and other off-ball movement, than for block/charge. The three requirements for off-ball guarding are 1) be at the spot first, 2)..without contact, 3)"time and distance" apply.

Jewel,
How does time and distance apply, or not?
mick

Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 09:57am
Esteemed Participant

Glad to have been of some assistance! Like we told everyone when the camp started - if you hear something once, think about it...hear it twice, better think about it really hard...hear it three times, better change it! I really liked your judgement and consistency on calls and no-calls...again, I am glad you came away with some constructive things to work on...as for Mick's question - I think she is referring to a discussion I led on post play in which I differentiated between the requirements for establishing legal guarding position on a dribbler (both feet on floor, facing player, yada-yada-yada) and establishing legal position in the post (first to spot, get there w/out causing illegal contact)...a question was asked about time and distance on a post player moving across the key and defender jumping in front to pick them off...

dj
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Everyone's first camp is a learning experience. You think you can officiate until you go to your first one!

Quote:

4) Write down and memorize certain sentences to say to coaches. This helps avoid accidntal bad explanations.
Any nuggets of gold that you can share?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Everyone's first camp is a learning experience. You think you can officiate until you go to your first one!

Quote:

Hmmm, I like "Sit down and shut the f*** up!"
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 11:09am
In Memoriam

Wink Oh, right Sparky.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Quote:

Like you'd say that.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Oh, right Sparky.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Like you'd say that.
Well, I might think it!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

The humbling thing is that I went to two camps last year. This one was definitely a next step up, though. No one ever told me my arm wasn't straight up!

Quote:

Any nuggets of gold that you can share? [/B]
"It was his teammate who hit him, coach"

"He still had control of the ball" or "He didn't have control of the ball"

"If you'd like, I"ll explain the 3-second details later"

"It didn't look that way to me"

"Coach, that's enough"

And this one that I actually got to use, "It's a new rule this year, ask me about it afterward"

Examples of what NOT to say: (I've got a long list in my notebook!!)

He tripped, Coach. (Coach responds, "I know he tripped! Tripping is a foul)

"He didn't dish the ball until after his knee hit the floor" (too long)

"3-seconds doesn't start until the ball is across the half court line, and it stops when the shot goes up and if the player in the key has the ball and is....."

"Actually, the contact wasn't on the arm it was on the body, with just enough displacement"

"Not one more word!"

"Don't you read the rulebook, Coach?" (too arrogant)
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 03:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Re: Oh, right Sparky.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Like you'd say that.
Dave actually said that once in a rec league game. I am not making this up.

My favorite comment when a coach yells is: "Sorry, coach. I left my English - Jibberish dictionary at home."