The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Had a situation in a game last night, which brought up a question:

When during a game can the opposing coach choose the sub?

A1 driving to the basket, B1 tries to take a charge. A1 comes down and hits head on the floor, blood on head and concussion. The coach of Team A now sends in a sub for the injured player, and that sub must shoot the free throws.

This brought a question from Team B coach that he should be able to choose the sub. I said not in this instance (?), but I think there is a sitch for that. Anyone remember what it is?? Not a quiz, just a question.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:02am
In Memoriam

There is no situation that I know of in NFHS/NCAA rules where the opposing coach can choose a sub.

There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think -- but that's not real basketball anyway.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think
In the NBA, anytime a player is entitled to shoot FTs, but is unable to (due to injury or ejection), the opposing coach picks the sub who will attempt the FTs.

Additionally, if the original player is unable to shoot the FTs due to injury, if a sub comes in to shoot the FTs for him, the original player is not eligible to return to the game.

But as JR said, in HS and NCAA, the opposing coach is never allowed to choose the sub.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
There is some kinda rule like that in the NBA-- I think
In the NBA, anytime a player is entitled to shoot FTs, but is unable to (due to injury or ejection), the opposing coach picks the sub who will attempt the FTs.

Additionally, if the original player is unable to shoot the FTs due to injury, if a sub comes in to shoot the FTs for him, the original player is not eligible to return to the game.

But as JR said, in HS and NCAA, the opposing coach is never allowed to choose the sub.
Just curious, does the player that the coach requests have to be a sub? Or can he already be in the game?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Just curious, does the player that the coach requests have to be a sub? Or can he already be in the game?
In the NBA, it's gotta be a sub. Can't make Shaq shoot the FTs if he's already on the floor.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
In the NBA, it's gotta be a sub. Can't make Shaq shoot the FTs if he's already on the floor.
That was exactly the situation I was thinking. Thank.